new redirection format and host

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

new redirection format and host

Postby josh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Finally knocked one off the list - a lot of people complained about sending messages from their spamgourmet addresses because the "redirection address" started with and contained a few plus signs ( + that is).

here's an example of the old style:
Code: Select all
+word+user+0ff773011r.person#example.com@spamgourmet.com

Everyone who looks into it agrees that having plus signs in an email address is perfectly OK, but several unenlightened email clients (hotmail? I dunno - anyway, enough clients for me to get somewhat frequent complaints) refused to accept them. For a long time - a decade - my response was something like - those client softwares are dumbasses. I stand by that response (grammar and all), but finally caved and refactored a bit to make it so that we don't have to have the plus signs anymore. All new redirection addresses will not have plus signs and will be aimed at a new mail domain: ob.0sg.net -- this domain *won't* work for incoming spamgourmet traffic, so don't use it for disposable email addresses, btw.

here's an example of the new style:
Code: Select all
word.user.0ff773011r.person#example.com@ob.0sg.net

Anyway, you might never notice this or think about it, and that would be good. I thought about not even announcing it, but I thought someone might look closely at the new redirection addresses and wonder what was going on. Existing redirection addresses with plus signs (embedded in address books and places, as they often are) should continue to work as they have been working (which, for most people, was just fine). Those of you who were having problems with the plus signs, just get a fresh redirection address and you should be good.

I need to clean up the code before checking into subversion - I'll get to that soon. (yes, we sometimes do go in to production before checking in)
josh

Re: new redirection format and host

Postby lwc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks.

Should I manually edit my address book with recreated addresses to gain more speed or does it not matter?

In other words, does the old style only serve now as a forwarding address into the new style (thus creating yet another middleman)?
lwc

Re: new redirection format and host

Postby josh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 pm

It doesn't matter - the old style addresses still go to the same place and get immediately processed as they always have been. But that is a good idea - we could get the mail server to re-route the old style addresses to the new code and then clean up the incoming code to remove the check for an outbound message, which might marginally improve performance. But nah... - maybe someday.

edit: that said - if you're having problems sending to an older address, you can transform it to the new style by looking at the examples above without going back to the site and getting a new address. Just make sure to use the ob.0sg.net domain or it won't work.
josh

Return to What's New