moving registrar

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

moving registrar

Postby josh » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Since godaddy support SOPA, I'm going to move all our domains over to a new registrar. I'm looking at ways to eliminate downtime for spamgourmet, but I thought I should let everyone know.

Note also that godaddy hosts *this board*, and I'll be looking for another place for it, or perhaps looking to switch to something new for discussion and support.
josh

Postby lwc » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Now wait a minute:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act#Companies wrote:On December 22, Go Daddy, the world's largest domain name registrar, stated that it supports SOPA.[72] This prompted users from Reddit to organize a boycott.[73] [74] In addition, Jimmy Wales announced he would transfer all Wikimedia domains from Go Daddy.[75] The same day, Go Daddy rescinded their support, with its CEO saying, "Fighting online piracy is of the utmost importance, which is why Go Daddy has been working to help craft revisions to this legislation - but we can clearly do better... Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it."[76]
lwc

Postby josh » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:56 pm

They can do better, but they haven't yet. As I understand it, they have not yet re-appeared before Congress to undo the damage they did by supporting it. To me, a public statement in response to a mass exodus is mere lip service without the substantive action that I see as necessary.

Besides, their user interface drives me insane :)
josh

Postby josh » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:57 pm

oh, yeah - this is a lot of work. I'm in the middle of it, and so far don't see a reason for downtime, except may be for this board (which is hosted by godaddy).

Anyone know where to move the board? I'll look at the new registrar.
josh

Postby josh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:07 pm

done.

This board is still running at godaddy - we've prepaid for some period of time, and so I'll use that luxury to decide what to do / where to go.

Does it make sense to switch away from the BBS to something more purpose built for support?
josh

Re: moving registrar

Postby gourmet » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:30 am

josh wrote:Since godaddy support SOPA, I'm going to move all our domains over to a new registrar.

Excellent choice! I moved my personal domain too. I was going to ask you to do that, but it seems that you though exactly same as I did.

I just today were checking what nameservers SG domains are using, and found out that NoDaddy isn't being used anymore and was pretty happy. So happy, that I'm now here thanking you.
gourmet

Postby Clewby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:08 pm

A thank-you for taking a principled stand from me as well.
Clewby

Return to What's New