10 years!

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

10 years!

Postby josh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:09 pm

We've been up and public for over 10 years now! The actual anniversary of opening the site was maybe in October or November, I'm not sure. The service has been operating since June of 2000, but until the fall it was restricted access.

Woo hoo!

BTW, I put up a confusing website for xoxy with a tic tac toe theme - the url no longer redirects to spamgourmet.com
josh

Postby GSX » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Congratulations! I'm using this for about 5 years now, very helpful service, thanks for your work Image
GSX

Re: 10 years!

Postby ozmodiar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:14 pm

josh wrote:BTW, I put up a confusing website for xoxy with a tic tac toe theme - the url no longer redirects to spamgourmet.com

haha, that was confusing. :D

I sometimes use xoxy.net as the URL instead of typing out spamgourmet.com.

I thought someone hijacked it.

And was recursor.net always like that? I never tried it until today, but had assumed it would redirect as well.

What happened to the spamgourmet facebook page? All I find now is a hook page to the entry in wikipedia.
ozmodiar

Postby miniscus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:02 pm

josh wrote:We've been up and public for over 10 years now!

Yes that is worth a Woo hoo all right! I gratefully use it since 7+ years now. Boy, does time fly!

And ... spamgourmet did keep its weight! After 10 years of SPAM!
Cheers to Spamgoumet, and a thank you to Josh, to Syskoll and everyone who helped! Image

Arick

Edit: Deleted my part two, in which I heavily had misunderstood the xoxy.net news, sorry
Last edited by miniscus on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miniscus

Postby ozmodiar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:06 pm

Arick:

This just means if someone goes to http://xoxy.net in a browser, they'll see a tic-tac-toe. Previously it would take you to spamgourment.com.

The @xoxy.net email functionality has not changed.
ozmodiar

Postby miniscus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Thx ozmodiar, you were faster, and ... I need lots of brain vitamins! :wink:

To my excuse: This morn I had tried to register at steganos.com and got no confirmail. Still not - maybe xoxy is blacklisted there. Ha, I'll find the right domain yet... :lol:
miniscus

Postby dan78 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:19 pm

josh wrote:We've been up and public for over 10 years now! The actual anniversary of opening the site was maybe in October or November, I'm not sure. The service has been operating since June of 2000, but until the fall it was restricted access.

Woo hoo!

BTW, I put up a confusing website for xoxy with a tic tac toe theme - the url no longer redirects to spamgourmet.com

Josh,

Congratulations on 10 years!

May I ask, why did you change xoxy to tic tac toe instead of redirecting? It was definitely surprising to me... Is this to keep people from associating xoxy with spamgourmet?

Here's to the next 10 years of spam-free e-mail with spamgourmet!

Dan
dan78

Postby josh » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Yes - the new xoxy site is something I really intend to do with all the non spamgourmet.XXX domains - specifically for people who type in the domain of your disposable to see where it goes. My masterpiece (imo) so far is mamber.net

I considered:

a) asking other people to do this for certain domains - that's really an open offer to anyone with some time on their hands. I've got more domains which redirect, and I'm far from married to most of the fake sites I put up.

b) branding each site with some sort of graphic to indicate to a casual traveler who also happens to be a spamgourmet user but is unaware of the domain that he/she can use the domain. I like that idea, but I'm not sure how well it would play out in practice (i.e., the likelihood of a user benefiting from the graphic is outweighed by the likelihood of a DEA-banning person learning about the domain because of it).
josh

Postby josh » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:32 pm

oh, and I deleted the facebook page because

a) facebook rejects spamgourmet addresses,

b) facebook increasingly worries me with regard to protection of its users' information, definitely including email addresses (which it doesn't want to be disposable), and the kicker:

c) facebook won't let you link to the spamgourmet site from a facebook page (including the gosh darned spamgourmet facebook page), saying that "facebook users have reported this site as abusive" or something like that - yeah, right. Try it and see... Blows my mind.

There's a broken link on wikipedia? If someone wants to fix it, they could add that spamgourmet deleted its facebook page in 2010 over facebook privacy concerns. I can't/shouldn't make a change like that to wikipedia, of course.
josh

congrats!

Postby DyNama » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:16 pm

congratulations on 10 years! i've been using SG for more than 8 years! thanx for saving me from 83,000 pieces of spam!

a couple years ago. i signed up at one of those link-shortener services, lnk.in, and when i wrote them to ask a question, they recognized the xoxy.net domain as spamgourmet's! they told me not to worry, they'd never spam me, and sure enough, they haven't.

maybe facebook now blocks SG addys for signing up, but they didn't back in Feb '08, cuz i log in with a .xoxy.net address.

for some reason, i love having lots and lots of SG domains to chose from. i keep a list handy--i know of 25--but in fact, i only use xoxy.net, dfgh.net, and (originally) neverbox.com. now that i've refreshed my memory by looking at the list, i think i'll use a few more.
DyNama

Postby kevins10 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:29 pm

josh wrote:b) facebook increasingly worries me with regard to protection of its users' information, definitely including email addresses (which it doesn't want to be disposable),

In my opinion, Facebook is the complete antithesis of privacy. They seem to have an ingrained corporate belief that everything about their users should be public to anyone who wants it, and anyone who disagrees with this can go take a flying leap. I blame it on Zuckerberg, and I think the company would be better off if he was gone (or at least removed completely from any role that allows him to set company policies).

I use Facebook, but my accounts are all completely fake. I only use them to sign up for FB-only freebies (and I continue the fakeness there to an extent, I've gotten freebies in the mail addressed to anime characters, which made me laugh) and to play some of the games (got addicted to Farmville, *sigh*). But since my info is fake, it won't matter one whit if Facebook gives it all away by accident (or more likely, on purpose). The more I use it, the more I see how it could be quite useful, if someone with any respect at all for privacy was running it, so I also become more and more convinced that I will NEVER have a Facebook account with my real information. I don't even trust them to have my real name.

BTW, congrats on 10 years! :D
kevins10

Postby glutton » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi, yeah congratulations & a BIG thankyou for the service. I must have been a user since fairly early on (lost my early login info!) I would have guessed more than 10 years but there you go! I'm not going to argue :)
I didn't use it much in the beginning but when sneakemail went paid I switched & now I'm glad because spamgourmet is so much easier and cooler.

Love xoxy.net frontpage :) Please keep it as anonymous.

Would be great if someone could do one for wronghead.com, that could be amusing :) . I wish I knew what to do. One without the spamgourmet link.

People always think "I'm taking the piss" (tricking them) when my eyes rollback in my head as I try to think of an addy to give them verbally, but they always get excited when I tell about spamgormet.

I do have a beg of course! Is there anyway we can up the number of remaining emails beyond 20, perhaps when we log on in the advanced mode.

Anyway thanks again for all your efforts. Kind regards Chris
glutton

Postby justs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Definitely congratulations on 10 1/2 awesome years!! I have been with you guys for 8 years, 4 months, and 19 days, 20,265 forwarded messages, 50,242 eaten messages and 739 disposable addresses created! I don't imagine I could function without Spamgourmet at this point!

DyNama wrote:maybe facebook now blocks SG addys for signing up, but they didn't back in Feb '08, cuz i log in with a .xoxy.net address.

Same deal here, I switched my FB account from my real email address to a 9ox.net address with no issues back around that time.

glutton wrote:Would be great if someone could do one for wronghead.com, that could be amusing :) . I wish I knew what to do. One without the spamgourmet link.

Yeah, I always loved that domain too. Maybe a spoof page on Fathead.com? Wall decals of the dregs of society? Get the new Muammar Gaddafi Wronghead!! LOL

I do have a beg of course! Is there anyway we can up the number of remaining emails beyond 20, perhaps when we log on in the advanced mode.

+1 for this.

I understand the initial intent of the 20 message cap, but I have a few sites where I do want to receive more than 20 emails, but definitely don't want to give one of my real emails out. Craigslist comes to mind.
Could using a Spamgourmet disposable to register for the Spamgourmet Forum tear a hole in the space-time continuum?
justs

Congrats and ThanX!

Postby VdkaShaker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Your message stats: 12,459 forwarded, 165,794 eaten. You have 509 disposable address(es).

That's all I need to say.
VdkaShaker

8.5 year SG member!

Postby spamgourmet-rox » Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks again (Josh, et al) for having such a useful company. Ten years! Wow. I've been donating $$ when I can as a thank-you.

When companies ask for my email address, I have to think for a second, then write out one with *their* company name in it. They often get a confused look, and I explain about a dynamic e-mail address creation (their eyes glaze over). But it works.

Josh, I checked out the Applied Mambernetics Corporation site, and I especially like the photo of Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Dr. Peter Greyford. A very handsome cat. 8)

My message stats:
(forwarded and deleted count started 2002-11-05)
That's 8 years 6 months ago!

15,160 forwarded, 2,439 eaten. You have 181 disposable address(es).
and
Your message stats: 3,937 forwarded, 3,053 eaten. You have 155 disposable address(es).

So thank you twice.
--john
spamgourmet-rox

Next

Return to What's New