Wachovia no longer allowing use of spamgourmet

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

Wachovia no longer allowing use of spamgourmet

Postby milkbadger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:09 pm

A few days ago I began having difficulty logging into Wachovia's online access page with the credentials I've been using for years. A few phone calls later, I discovered that they had disabled my account access (without notifying me) because the email associated with my account was a "disposable" email. Apparently this is a result of their recent swallowing up by Wells Fargo.

I plan to close my checking account and no longer do business with them as soon as I can get my direct deposit switched away.
milkbadger

this is true

Postby iluvspamgourmet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 pm

I received a phone call from a wachovia rep telling me I could no longer use my @spamgourmet.com email address as a contact for online banking. Even though I'd used it for 5 years with no problem, they had a new policy that no "disposable" e-addy could be used. I told them EVERY email address was "disposable", but they didn't care.

I changed my e-addy to @xoxy.net (a SG alternative domain name) but they caught on and deactivated my online wachovia access the very next day. So I changed my e-addy to wachoviasucks@{etc}.com and gave it to the rep OVER THE PHONE so she had to listen to it.

B-tards! I swore I'd remove all my money and accounts from them but after calming down I realized that would be too monumental a task for an email address spat.

Instead, I'm going to take one of my old generic-sounding domain names and it will become my domain for "disposable" accounts that fuss about @spamgourmet.com. I'll still use SG for the majority of my online signups; it's just too convenient to NOT use it.
iluvspamgourmet

Postby milkbadger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:50 am

For what it's worth, there is already a growing campaign to persuade people to move their money out of the big four banks, which now includes Wachovia (=Wells Fargo): http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2009/12/30/changing-banks/
milkbadger

Wachovia

Postby Jim27106 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:52 am

Closing the account over an eMail spat does seem a little draconian. However closing an account because their fees are high seems like a good idea. Also, a quick read of the deposit agreement will make you think twice.

I recommend credit unions.

(Full disclosure: I still maintain a small Wachovia account, but it doesn't even have overdraft protection because they are so bad.)
Jim27106

Return to What's New