moving servers

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

moving servers

Postby josh » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:22 am

I'm in the process of slowly moving the service to a new box, which should help with the delays we've been seeing. We're using a different mail server on the new box (exim instead of sendmail), and so the move hasn't been straightforward, and we're taking it slowly and carefully. I moved over mamber.net so far, and a test domain new.0sg.net. They appear to be working fine, *but* the new IP address is causing headaches with delivery to att, yahoo, comcast, and couple of others who are greylisting it. I forgot how much trouble we had gone through over the years to get our current IP addresses whitelisted with the various services. Over the next few weeks, we plan to move all the domains over. Your patience and understanding is appreciated during the process, but we hope it will all be smooth.

The new IP address is 216.75.62.102 -- don't report it! :)
josh

Trusted Senders and Exclusive Senders are being ignored.

Postby fwalters » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:53 am

As of June 24th, all of my Trusted Senders and Exclusive Senders are being ignored. My remaining messages for each address are counting down, acting like I didn't have trusted senders or exclusive senders defined.

I'm guessing that this is related to the server move since it started happening on the 24th. Is there anything I can do to prevent losing messages from valid senders, other than going through all of my addresses and bumping up the remaining message count?

Are there others experiencing this issue?
fwalters

Postby lwc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:22 pm

Do you mean you actually see those senders in the eaten message log :!: :?:
lwc

Postby fwalters » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Not yet, but I think that's only because I haven't let my remaining messages counts get to zero.

The remaining message count is decrementing even though the email is from a trusted sender or an exclusive sender. That should not be happening.

The other odd thing is that I'm getting a rash of headers like "message 1 of" even though I've been getting email from the same exclusive senders for months.
fwalters

Postby fwalters » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Also, my trusted senders and exclusives senders tend to be domain names instead of email addresses.
fwalters

Postby josh » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:09 pm

hmm... can you PM me the headers from one of the messages that's decrementing when it shouldn't be?
josh

Postby josh » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:02 pm

I'm working on fwalters' issue -- the move is pretty much complete, btw.
josh

Postby gourmet » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:08 am

josh wrote:I'm working on fwalters' issue -- the move is pretty much complete, btw.

Great, does this also mean that we finally get rid of problems that have been hindering spamgourmet for several years?

I'm sure that admins got best picture of this issue. Because my data set is so small. But it has been consistent for years, revealing serious problems.
gourmet

Postby josh » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 am

If you're talking about performance issues, then I hope you'll agree things are pretty good now.
josh

Postby gourmet » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:53 pm

josh wrote:If you're talking about performance issues, then I hope you'll agree things are pretty good now.

Yes, seems to be working "as expected".
gourmet

Re: Trusted Senders and Exclusive Senders are being ignored.

Postby eee » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:13 pm

fwalters, I thought I was having the exact same problem you were. Around June 27th, it seemed, some of my trusted senders were counting down instead of being trusted. (Instead of getting the "trusted" message in my Subject line, I was getting a "message N of 20", and my number of available uses was counting down.)

However, I got help from the Spamgourmet people, they asked me to send them full headers, and they noticed that my Yahoo Groups had changed their domain from yahoogroups.com to groups.yahoo.com. When I added groups.yahoo.com to my list of trusted senders, my problem stopped!

Perhaps your senders have done something similar and changed their domain, and now you need to check and add the new domain to your trusted senders list?

fwalters wrote:As of June 24th, all of my Trusted Senders and Exclusive Senders are being ignored. My remaining messages for each address are counting down, acting like I didn't have trusted senders or exclusive senders defined.

I'm guessing that this is related to the server move since it started happening on the 24th. Is there anything I can do to prevent losing messages from valid senders, other than going through all of my addresses and bumping up the remaining message count?

Are there others experiencing this issue?
eee

Postby fwalters » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks eee, I checked that. These are emails from trusted senders and exclusive senders that have not changed their domains. All seemed to be working well until recently when they started counting down. It doesn't happen to all of them, only some of them. Have not been able to determine why.

Have sent several message headers to support, but no fix yet. Right now, the only work around I have is to go in and bump the remaining message count on ones that are getting low.
fwalters

Return to What's New