rough weekend

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

rough weekend

Postby info » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:41 pm

We had what amounted to a denial of service attack during the latter part of last week. Reports are that it was not hostilely motivated, but the effect was the same for a while. After we recovered from that, this weekend, our ISP reports that it experienced routing issues that we believe would have rendered our server inaccessible to a bunch of cable subscribers (likely improving performance for everyone else :) ). All better now.
info
Site Admin

Re: rough weekend

Postby fmus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:37 pm

info wrote: All better now.

Anything going on at the moment? Haven't seen any mail for about 12 hrs (maybe more, wasn't paying attention). I am on cable, but that shouldn't affect the ability of SG to talk to gmail (for example).
fmus

Postby tord » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:23 pm

Yeah something is definitely going on. I rely on spamgourmet for quite a few survey sites and such that I don't fully trust and usually i get 10-15 a day. Its been a good 24 hours at least since I have gotten anything.

Hope it will be resolved soon I love this service and its sad that spammers would attack this site.
tord

Postby fmus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:36 pm

I just got a small chunk of mail so hopefully the mail is starting to sneak through.
fmus

Postby sg-since03 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:50 pm

Its been a good 24 hours at least since I have gotten anything. Hope it will be resolved soon...

Site has been unavailable at least ~36 hours. Haven't been able to log in two days.

its sad that spammers would attack this site.

Spammers have been waging war for years. Google "Blue Frog," for example; one casualty among many.

(Aside to Syskoll & Josh: with Donald Trump's money, I'd sponser Akamai hosting or similar. Unfortunately, I'm not Donald Trump...)
sg-since03

Postby fmus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:53 pm

Bigger chunks of mail coming in now.
fmus

Re: rough weekend

Postby sparol » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:47 pm

The last couple days I receive the error 4.4.3 from spamgourmet. It's seems to be a temporary problem with DNS...
sparol

Postby lwc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:58 pm

How weird. I would never have known there's a problem without randomally checking out this forum. Alright, mail was sometimes (just sometimes) slow but not slow enough for me to suspect anything. Assuming messages weren't lost, of course...:shock:

With that said, I entered the main site a couple of minutes ago but now it times out...
lwc

Return to What's New