shutdown imminent?

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

shutdown imminent?

Postby info » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:14 pm

Not the best news I've had -- we had a flurry of false spamcop reports from a particular spamgourmet user based on messages that came through our server -- I tried sternly warning the user (and shortly afterward, my gmail account was mysteriously disabled -- they've turned it back on, but won't tell me why, other than to say that they'd received reports of unsolicited mail from my gmail account (?)), but the reports continued, and our service provider is now threatening to shut us down. I'm communicating with the service provider, I have disabled the user account, and I'm also communicating with spamcop -- just wanted to put up the warning in case we go dark. Reminder -- don't file false reports!!!
info
Site Admin

Postby info » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Update -- spamcop has (very promptly) contacted our service provider and described what happened. We still don't have confirmation from the service provider that they're backing off, but then again, we're still up.
info
Site Admin

Postby fmus » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:06 pm

I wonder if a spammer joined just to get a way to file false reports and harm your fine service?

Keep up the good work, gentlemen. I appreciate what you do.
fmus

Postby info » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:22 pm

Definitely not a spammer -- this was a long term spamgourmet user who also reports mail through spamcop.

The ISP has backed off, so the immediate threat of shutdown has passed. Now, I'm trying to figure out whether the user made improper reports, or whether the ISP misinterpreted valid reports.

Anyway, dodged a bullet, I guess.
info
Site Admin

Return to What's New