Status update? I'm a new user.

Use this forum to get help.

Status update? I'm a new user.

Postby MyQ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:57 pm

Hey, I just registered for spamgourmet. I sent test e-mails to myself at both xoxy.net and spamgourmet.com, and have not received them. The only e-mail that I got--and I got it immediately--was the confirmation for this forum.

I read the threads from yesterday about the DoS attacks, so my questions are:
1) If that is indeed the problem, then when will it be resolved?
2) After it's resolved, should I anticipate this happening often again in the future? and
3) Why is it that mail from this forum is getting through so easily but nothing else?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
MyQ

Postby MyQ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:24 pm

4) Are the messages that were sent to me over the past hour or so lost? If not, when should I expect to receive them?
MyQ

Postby MrRust » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:47 am

Hi MyQ,

I'm a new member here too, and this is my first post. I'm not able to offer any answers concerning the server attacks (though I'd be interested in the answers from someone who might know) but I can tell you that when I registered for the forum it took quite a few hours to get an e-mail confirmation, so the forum e-mail system is not immune to the delays that are occurring. Delays to particular e-mails seem to be connected with the server load at the time you send them - I guess you were just lucky when you joined the forum. I've been experiencing long delays on most e-mails going through the SG system (over a day in some instances) but non have yet gone missing entirely, so your mail will probably arrive in a few hours...or a few more hours. :-)
MrRust

Postby SysKoll » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:04 am

MyQ,

We are weathering the storm. We see a large variability in the attack, its intensity varies from minute to minute. So depending on when your mail is received, it can get processed within minutes or it can take hours.

If you want to help, install Linux on as many Windows PCs as you can. Statistics say that one out of three is infected by a spambot or Trojan, so you'll decrease the spam load.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby de552 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:21 am

Attacks are still going on?

That's sad. I used really to love spamgourmet, but all these reliability issues (due attacks?) eclipsed my faith for future.

Sorry for you guys!
Last edited by de552 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
de552

Postby user7 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:04 pm

Doesn't look good from here...

I have nothing thru spamgourmet since Dec. 4. I see Eaten Message on Dec 8, and a new address I added on Dec. 9, incremented message counts for test messages sent, but no messages have made it thru.

This is sad, as I was a happy user since 2004. :(

Josh, any updates?
user7

Postby de552 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:13 pm

I was also happy user for at least 3 years or something like that. But about one year a go perioidic problems stared. And I had to start using another service. Which isn't nearly as great as spamgourmet, but it works fast and reliably.

I wonder why anyone cares to attack service like this. I simply hope that the another service which I'm using won't be attacked. I know that botnets can bring down almost any major service so small and free services are extremely easy targets. But only question is the motive. Why to attack servers that "doesn't matter".
Last edited by de552 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
de552

Postby SysKoll » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:32 pm

It should be a bit better now. If you still have problems with non-arriving mail, send me or Josh a private message.

As for why we are attacked, it's hard to understand until you have read books written by psychiaters who dealt with prison inmates. There is a percentage of people who have a genetic problem leading them to believe that a lack of inhibitions is a normal behavior. Specifically, it's a gene messing up the part of the brain dealing with social interactions. For these people, bullying and stealing is normal. What they cannot steal, they soil or degrade. This behavior often surfaces in a group when dealing with "enemies" (which explains war atrocities), but is generally suppressed when the subject lives in his normal environment. In some people, everyone is the enemy, and the asocial behavior predominates.

Spammers attacking us are exhibiting this type of behavior and thus are certainly very sick.

Sad, huh?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby de552 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:40 pm

Those sick b*rds!

It's nice to hear that situation is better now. But we'll never know when attacks might get worse. So there is no "guarantee" of this service working well enough.

Good old www.jetable.org seems to be dead too... (And has been a while down, I guess it's never coming back)
de552

Postby josh » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:45 pm

The main server has been running cool for a few days now (first time in months), but there's still a lot of competition for connections to it. The service has been working fine for me (and I'm paying attention) for this time, so hopefully other users will find the same to be true. We'll see how we make it through this week.

Absolutely no guarantee that the attack won't get worse, and it would be foolish of us to think we could withstand anything -- that pretty much goes for anyone on the internet, too, of course.
josh

Update: All is well

Postby user7 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:35 pm

Update on my troubles posted Mon Dec 11, 2006:

FIXED! ISP blocked SG connection, as suspected.

Thanks & Happy New Year! :D
user7

SG blocking reason?

Postby de552 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:25 am

Did they give any reason why to block spamgourmet?
de552

Re: SG blocking reason?

Postby user7 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:14 pm

de552 wrote:Did they give any reason why to block spamgourmet?

Nope... but as soon as I supplied this from Josh, they fixed it:
Code: Select all
# telnet mx.xxx.xxx  25
[...]
helo gourmet.spamgourmet.com
554-mx.xxx.xxx
554 To contact xxxx, use: http://www.mail.xxx.xxx
Connection closed by foreign host.
user7

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...