idle domains for spamgourmet addresses

Use this forum to get help.

idle domains for spamgourmet addresses

Postby lwc » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:20 am

The FAQ states:
Note: for the longest time, it was not necessary to even let us know about doing this.

Know what? Just the spameater method or also the preferred method?

Also, I didn't understand this statement:
if...you decide to bring it back into normal service, your mail hoster may be unpleasantly surprised.

Why surprised? And why won't they also be surprised if I use the preferred method?
Last edited by lwc on Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
lwc

Re: idle domains for spamgourmet addresses

Postby SysKoll » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:01 pm

lwc wrote:The FAQ states:
Note: for the longest time, it was not necessary to even let us know about doing this.

Know what? Just the spameater method or also the preferred method?

It used to be that we didn't have to know about forwarding domains. Now we have to have a list of domains that forward to us.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:08 am

Ok, but the (first) question was - must you be notified in
just the spameater method or also the preferred method?
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:50 am

lwc,

Notify us if you use the forwarder (which is described as the preferred method) so we know which domain to configure in our spameater.

As for the spameater method, all we are saying here is: If you get a lot of spam on your domain xyz.com and suddenly stop forwarding it to spameater, the spam will be received by whoever handles the xyz.com domain's email (which is "normal service" for an email address). And THEY will have to deal suddenly with the spam.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:04 pm

SysKoll wrote:Notify us if you use the forwarder (which is described as the preferred method) so we know which domain to configure in our spameater.

When you say "preferred", do you mean "the less preferred" (aka spameater)?
The one who wrote the FAQ wrote:The less preferred method is to forward all mail for your domain to the address spameater

If so, what about the preferred way? Does it require a notification too?

SysKoll wrote:As for the spameater method, all we are saying here is: If you get a lot of spam on your domain xyz.com and suddenly stop forwarding it to spameater, the spam will be received by whoever handles the xyz.com domain's email (which is "normal service" for an email address). And THEY will have to deal suddenly with the spam.

And what about if I use the preferred method and then stop?
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:30 pm

Lwc,

In the FAQ, Josh wrote:The preferred method would be to get your ISP to forward all mail for the domain to the recipient user @ spamgourmet.com. For instance, with sendmail, your ISP could add a line like:

@youridledomain.com %1@spamgourmet.com

in the virtusertable file.

If you use that setup, you have to warn us.

In the FAQ, Josh wrote:The less preferred method is to forward all mail for your domain to the address spameater@spamgourmet.com

If you use that method, we would appreciate a warning, although technically I don't believe it's required.

lwc wrote:And what about if I use the preferred method and then stop?

Also tell us. We'll still have to update our tables.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:06 pm

So it's actually the preferred method that requires a notification (and in the other it's just advised)...

I guess it's the same for stopping (better notify about the fact that you stopped in the preferred method and it's just advisable to notify you stopped in the other).

But my last question was what if I do the preferred method and stop - this way the domain's handler won't "have to deal suddenly with the spam"?
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:41 pm

lwc wrote:But my last question was what if I do the preferred method and stop - this way the domain's handler won't "have to deal suddenly with the spam"?

I don't think I understand your question. Or rather, I believe I already answered it, which means we don't understand each other.

Please rephrase your question and illustrate with an example so that I can understand the problem.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:50 am

You said if I use the none preferred method (i.e. spameater), then it will cause problems should I ever stop it.

So I asked how come it won't cause exactly the same troubles if I use the preferred method and then stop it?
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:10 am

Oh, I see. You're right, if you suddenly stop forwarding email from an idle domain to sg, then the email for that domain might get processed by the ISP mail server, and depending on their mail volume, they might be inconvenienced by a suddden spam surge.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:29 am

The FAQ says what you said is true for the none preferred method (i.e. spameater), which is another reason why it's unpreferred.

So is it true just the same for the preferred method? If so, the FAQ shouldn't make the difference.
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:48 pm

Josh, this part of the FAQ is yours. What do you think?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:54 pm

I have to read that again -- the preferred method is preferred because it requires less processing (and therefore fewer CPU cycles) on our end. But the warning about moving a domain back into regular service should apply equally to any method.
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...