Trouble with HTTPS secure login

Use this forum to get help.

Trouble with HTTPS secure login

Postby ebx2 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:52 pm

I've been having this problem for a couple of months now. To verify it I just created a new sg user, cleared all my cookies, cleared my Firefox cache and logged in to the secure https://www.spamgourmet.com. I was able to log in, but when I clicked the Advanced tab, I got a message saying "There was a problem with your login. Please log in again."

So I did that and after 3 logins I was able to get to the advanced page. When I clicked on the "Search Addresses" button I could see the list that contained the 1 sg address word I had created. When I clicked on the word to change the remaining number of messages to be forwarded, I again saw the "There was a problem with your login. Please log in again" message.

FYI I never check the "remember me" box, and I NEVER log in without going through the secure HTTPS connection. I also replicated this behavior using MS Internet Explorer so I do not think it is a Firefox-specific problem.

This is driving me crazy, and it happens all the time. I cannot log in long enough to do anything. Can anyone give me a clue as to what's going on or how I can fix this behavior?
ebx2

Postby josh » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:53 pm

ah.. who's your ISP? Could you be radically switching IP addresses with each request?
josh

Postby ebx2 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:01 am

Funny you should mention that... I have a dual-WAN router that connects my little network to both a cable ISP and a DSL line. 2 different ISPs. There's no fancy load balancing or anything and I have the split set at 50-50. You may be onto something there; that possibility never crossed my mind.

I did notice that if I hit Reload (and re-posted the form data) sometimes it would come back to me and I would still be logged on. I also noticed (with the Firefox View Cookies extension) that the same cookie 'token' was present on the pages where I was getting "Please log in again". It held the same value each time.

I am going to try and set the SG server address to always use the cable modem connection and see what that does. I bet it will work. I'll post an update shortly.
ebx2

Postby ebx2 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:18 am

Problem solved :D I was able to log into sg using https and the login stayed good the whole time. I switched back and forth between screens and sections and so forth and didn't get the "Please log in again" message once.

Josh, I cannot thank you enough! I suppose I figured that as long as the cookie was current and valid the source IP address didn't matter. Now I know better. Now I just have to watch out for changes in the sg address, but if the problem happens again in the future I will know where to start looking. Thank you so much. :!:
ebx2

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...