What's going on here?!

Use this forum to get help.

What's going on here?!

Postby lwc » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:44 pm

I'm losing e-mail messages left and right, my private messages are ignored, the forum is filled with spam.

Is there a chance my messages are just delayed? How come some are fine?
lwc

Postby josh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:37 pm

deleted the forum spam. We've experienced user abuse in the last couple of weeks, which has occasionally raised the server load to the point that it delays connections -- affected messages are delayed.
josh

Postby lwc » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:39 pm

I sure hope so because some of them are from Sunday (it's Wednesday when I write this).

I also suspect I only got the newer(!) message from a sender who sent me 2 messages. How can it be?
lwc

wtf

Postby tord » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:40 pm

I am also missing quite the many emails. Some emails I get right away and others are seemingly not coming at all.

Can you please look into non recieved emails?
tord

Postby lwc » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:12 am

tord, you took the words out of my mouth. I also lose messages left and right while others I get pretty quickly!

Please do something!
lwc

Postby lwc » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:14 am

Just thought you might like to know today I've started getting 2 weeks of lost messages. What a relief! It's insane, I'm getting a lost message like every couple of minutes... :)

I hope it means the problem is over!
lwc

Postby josh » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:25 pm

We've moved the service over to our new server, which is much faster. The old server is now clearing out its queue. Some [concerned citizen/bozo/reckless endangerer] falsely reported the old server to spamcop a whole bunch of times, which automatically blacklisted it - if you're getting messages, then you must not be using the spamcop blacklist.
josh

Postby lwc » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:34 pm

Speaking of Spamcop, something weird has just happened. I got 2 lost messages. One of them was a technical message that had a link that led me to http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blche ... 18.230.146 - anyway, inside that message was attached one of my lost messages.

The other message was...the same message that was attached in that technical message! So how come I got it if it was blocked (according to the first message)?

As for the first message (the technical one), it was sent from your mailer-daemon so now I finally understand what were all those eaten messages by your mailer-daemon in other accounts that 0 messages left in them.

Also, the aforementioned URL is weird as it doesn't mention any dates! It's not clear whether it's a listing from the past or the present!
lwc

mail stopped

Postby karma » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:03 am

I just received a lot of old emails from a newsgroup I belong to. BUT I have not received a new email from them since 8/16/2006 12:07am. I usually get 2 or 3 per day. I hope it will start to come back again. :cry:

Postby lwc » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:06 pm

I was just told a message was sent to me 2 days ago. It's not listed as eaten which means it was lost/delayed again.

What's going on Josh, I thought you fixed the problem!
lwc

Postby Spambuster1 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:08 pm

lwc wrote:What's going on Josh, I thought you fixed the problem!

I hope we're not seeing the start of a general functional decline which will eventually result in this site fading away.

Too often that's what happens to good things on the internet which are free but result in an out-of-pocket expense to the developer. After a time, the developer loses interest in the project and/or personal priorities change and you wake up one morning to find that the project is no longer being supported and soon thereafter declines into obscurity.

I can't tell you the number of really great freeware software programs I've seen developed by bright college students who just walked away from them after graduation when they got their first "real" job and no longer had the time or inclination to keep the software current.

Not saying that's going to happen to SpamGourmet but I always worry about becoming too dependant upon something which doesn't have a self-sustaining revenue flow.
Spambuster1

fee for service?

Postby calicomiaou » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:46 am

I have been using SpamGourmet for over a year now and have, by and large, been very satisfied with it.

While I am frustrated with the current delayed email issues, I would happily pay a membership fee to SpamGourmet if support issues were to be handled in more than a "we'll do what we can, when we can" manner.

Right now, though, I wonder whether to wait the current problems out or try to find another spam solution. :?
calicomiaou

Postby myrgoups » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:06 am

I totally agree with calicomiaou and spambuster1. I love SG's functionality, but at this moment it has become totally unusable for me due to the delays. I would be more than happy to pay a reasonable amount to get better reliability and support, and I am sure I am not the only one.
myrgoups

Postby josh » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:19 pm

Is it still a problem for you? We moved to a new faster server about a week ago.
josh

Postby lwc » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:18 pm

I currently have at least 3 lost messages that I know of.
Last edited by lwc on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
lwc

Next

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...