SG almost useless for me at this point...

Use this forum to get help.

SG almost useless for me at this point...

Postby phillyuser » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:51 am

Hello. I used an SG e-mail address the other day and never got the e-mail that was sent to the address. So, I tried a test and sent an e-mail myself to that very same SG address. My test e-mail finally did come through -- more than 22 hours later. Image

Then, another e-mail I was expecting through an SG address never came and it was a very important e-mail. Now I'll have to call the organization and see what they were trying to communicate to me in the e-mail. I've been having problems with my SG address for months but they just keep getting worse and worse.

I hope you're not accepting new sign-ups because this service doesn't seem to be working very well anymore, apparently due to the hardware limitations I've read about elsewhere in these forums.

I'd also respectfully recommend that you replace your phpBB forums with Simple Machines Forums (SMF). SMF is far more robust that phpBB, can be set up to not expose the memberlist to guests or search engines, and it has a very nice CAPTCHA mod that stops the automated signups. Your phpBB board is so spammed in the memberlist and regularly in forum posts that it's just plain unprofessional. I realize your memberlist is set so that it's not accessible when clicking the memberlist link. Nevertheless, it does seem to be getting spammed regularly and that can only serve to clutter up the phpBB database, I would think. SMF does have a phpBB-to-SMF converter that works well for converting phpBB boards to SMF. I've used the converter several times and it has worked well for each board I've converted. Beware of the Visual Confirmation option in phpBB's admin section. It's basically useless. The graphical characters it displays are so basic in form that they are easily scanned and converted to text by bots/programs, as is proven on this web page.

Also, I see that links still don't show as links in posts in this forum, at least not in preview. I have a number of links in this post, but you'd never know it by looking at a preview before posting. :( So, I made the font color blue and underlined each link manually.
phillyuser

Postby lwc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:47 am

Forget everything, this forum system you mentioned is worth it for its support of searching for whole phrases alone.

Sure, I was this close to missing it "thanks" to the "match all/any words" selection box, but thankfully the example provided used a phrase too. I then found out that when you use a phrase it totally ignores said selection box.

The ability to search for phrases is in my eyes one of the main reasons Google is what is. Sadly, it seems as if PHPBB decided to declare war on this ability, and most of the other forums out other too (the same ones that look in general as PHPBB clones).

P.S.
Your URLs worked. You wasted your time coloring them...
And you really wasted your time underlining them as they're at least underlined for me in preview mode...
lwc

Postby phillyuser » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:41 pm

Please read my post more carefully. I say this because:
lwc wrote:Forget everything, this forum system you mentioned is worth it for its support of searching for whole phrases alone.
Did I say this forum was useless, or did I say SpamGourmet was almost useless to me? What's the difference between the forum and SpamGourmet service? The former is a discussion forum, the latter is a spam-prevention service. The title of the topic I posted clearly reflects the SpamGourmet service, not forums, thus your comment is pointless. As for the forum here, I offered no destructive solution, but a constructive solution, with detail: replace them with SMF.

lwc wrote:The ability to search for phrases is in my eyes one of the main reasons Google is what is. Sadly, it seems as if PHPBB decided to declare war on this ability, and most of the other forums out other too (the same ones that look in general as PHPBB clones).
phpBB does not support the searching of actual phrases. This is one of many reasons why SMF is far superior. It does allow the searching of phrases. The searcher need merely enclose the search phrase in double quotes.

lwc wrote:Your URLs worked. You wasted your time coloring them...And you really wasted your time underlining them as they're at least underlined for me in preview mode...
No, in preview mode the links did not show up different than other text at all and I was not imagining this.
phillyuser

Postby lwc » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:37 am

Sounds to me you're just looking for a reason to get ticked off. First you got mad because I dared appreciate you're revealing SMF to us (it's not like I changed the subject and made people lose focus of your message about Spamgourmet...).

Then you just repeated what I said about my anger of PHPBB not supporting searching for phrases while SMF does.
lwc

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...