SMTP connection problems (#4.4.1)

Use this forum to get help.

SMTP connection problems (#4.4.1)

Postby theq » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:02 pm

Greetings -

Today I had four outgoing messages bounced back to me with SMTP connection (#4.4.1) problems. All four were sent to addresses created with the "send a message from one of your disposable addresses" option. All four went out two DAYS ago, on 6/3.

Three of the four addresses had been created, stored in my addressbook and successfully used in the past - only one was a "fresh" creation.

Given that I've not had any problems with any non-SG traffic, is it safe to assume this is SG-related? What's up? I've got some folks breathing down my neck who are not very tech-savvy and don't care a hill of beans (nor want to know anything about) avoiding spam.. :(

TIA!
theq

Postby josh » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:44 am

We've had several reports of delayed messages. I just changed the settings on the upstream mail server to be a little more open (famous last words?) -- we had tuned it to resist a bunch of denial of service attacks, and had to stay pretty conservative. Hopefully the new setting will help, without bringing down the server.

We really do plan on moving (just when remains to be seen), and the new hardware that comes with that should alleviate things, too.
josh

Postby theq » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:05 am

These were bounces, not delayed (albeit, delayed bounces) messages.
Could this be caused by the same problems causing the delayed messages that others have been experiencing?

Thanks!

josh wrote:We've had several reports of delayed messages. I just changed the settings on the upstream mail server to be a little more open (famous last words?) -- we had tuned it to resist a bunch of denial of service attacks, and had to stay pretty conservative. Hopefully the new setting will help, without bringing down the server.

We really do plan on moving (just when remains to be seen), and the new hardware that comes with that should alleviate things, too.
theq

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...