Unable to change protected address

Use this forum to get help.

Postby ScottF4 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:44 am

SysKoll wrote:Was the DNS for preservationcoalition.org updated recently? If so, when? Because from the spamgourmet server, the MX record (served by HE.net) still points to preserve.bfn.org.

We changed dns about 3 weeks ago from Verizon to Dotster. Our web site is still at preserve.bfn.org but our email never went there.

Scott
ScottF4

Unable to change protected address

Postby ScottF4 » Thu May 04, 2006 7:17 pm

Our protected address has been changed, but mail sent through spamgourmet is bouncing since it is not actually going to the protected address.

When email is sent to a spamgourmet address it is not forwarded to the protected address shown on our account - nxxx@pxxx.org, but fowarded instead to nxxx@preserve.bfn.org

preserve.bfn.org is the address of our website but our mail does not go through the website host. Mail sent directly to the protected address does go through.

Thanks

Scott Field
ScottF4

Postby josh » Mon May 08, 2006 6:10 pm

preservationcoalition.org doesn't have an 'A' record, rather it has a 'CNAME' record pointing to preserv.bfn.org

I believe sendmail takes the 'CNAME' record with priority over the MX record(s) for the hostname, and then tries to send the mail to preserv.bfn.org rather than the MX host(s).

I know that whenever I set up an MX record, BIND insists that the hostname used for the MX designation correspond to an 'A' record, and won't allow me to specify a hostname that has only a 'CNAME' record. Evidently, the DNS service you're using doesn't place that same restriction.

I'm not sure we can change the behavior of sendmail in this regard, and if we can, I'd be afraid to because of the potential effects on other domains. Can you put in an 'A' record for preservationcoalition.org, pointing it to the IP address of the top priorty MX host? Another way to approach it would be to create an 'A' record for something like mail.preservationcoaltion.org (with the IP address pointing to the existing top priority MX host) and then set mail.preservationcoalition.org to be the top priority MX host for preservationcoalition.org.
josh

Postby ScottF4 » Mon May 08, 2006 8:04 pm

josh wrote:preservationcoalition.org doesn't have an 'A' record, rather it has a 'CNAME' record pointing to preserv.bfn.org

Can you put in an 'A' record for preservationcoalition.org, pointing it to the IP address of the top priorty MX host? ...

Josh,

Wouldn't pointing an A record for preservationcoalition.org to the MX host (which is different than our web host) misdirect people who are trying to get to our website?

I'm trying your 2nd suggestion and have created an A record for mail.preservationcoaltion.org with the IP address of the top priority MX host, and set mail.preservationcoalition.org as the top priority MX host for preservationcoalition.org.

I'll give it some time to propagate then see what happens.

Thanks.

Scott
ScottF4

Postby ScottF4 » Tue May 09, 2006 3:34 am

ScottF4 wrote:
josh wrote:...
Can you put in an 'A' record for preservationcoalition.org, pointing it to the IP address of the top priorty MX host? ...

Josh,
I'll give it some time to propagate then see what happens.

Thanks.

Scott

Mail from Sg is now going through.
Thanks!

Scott
ScottF4

Postby josh » Fri May 12, 2006 3:50 pm

ScottF4 wrote:Mail from Sg is now going through.
Thanks!

Scott

cool!
josh

Previous

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...