Messages Not Getting Through

Use this forum to get help.

Messages Not Getting Through

Postby jmckay123456789 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:36 pm

Hello. I was expecting an important email this morning, which I didn't recieve. I sent myself a number of test messages from two different accounts. I sent them to my "real" (non spamgourmet) address, to an existing spamgourmet address, and to a new spam gourmet address. None of the spamgourmet messages have made it through yet, though the my "real" account recieved the messages within 10 seconds. I sent my test emails about 2.5 hours ago. I hope the messages are only delayed, and not gone.

best,
Cedar
jmckay123456789

Postby josh » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:10 pm

The load on the server is not bad recently, and all my messages are getting through immediately (for one :) ) - did you log in and check to see whether the count for the addresses has been incremented?

If it has been incremented (showing that an additional message has been forwarded -- this should be easy to spot for the new address you mentioned), then there's a possibility that your mail provider is blocking messages coming from the spamgourmet server, or maybe some spam filter between you and spamgourmet is catching the messages.

If it hasn't been incremented, please let us know, and send specifics via email or private message.
josh

Postby jmckay123456789 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:26 am

As I mentioned in a private message, my 5 test emails finally trickled in over the course of an hour (in reverse order for some reason) about 5 hours later. Test messages sent to the same account, not via spamgourmet arrived immediatly. In any case, test messages are currently arriving right away, so hopefully it was a temporary problem.

thanks,
Cedar
jmckay123456789

Postby pevans » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:48 pm

I also had some messages go AWOL today. A few others were delayed by about an hour, but at least two have disappeared for 7 hours now. They were from exclusive senders, so I there would not have been a counter decrement to trace. The service seems to be back to normal now.
pevans

Postby pevans » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:15 pm

The missing messages did finally arrive after another hour - I guess I wasn't quite patient enough :) Other messages came through during the interim - so my WAG is that this particular server was temporarily unable to send to the spamgourmet relay, and had a long delay prior to retry. Would you like me to send you a copy of the headers?
pevans

Postby SysKoll » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:25 am

Yup, please send them. Also, was the content just a test message?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Re: Messages Not Getting Through

Postby mika84 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:56 am

I just posted to general discussion forum about this issue.

http://www.spamgourmet.com/bbs/viewtopi ... =3582#3582

I also tried telnetting to SMTP port gourmet.spamgourmet-server, didn't work out.

Hmm, that's pretty bad...

Maybe putting backup server would be good idea? Just simply spooling mail and later extracting it to main server when it's up again.

Some mail servers have very short retry perioid. Like 6 hours or so. Back in good old days all servers tried up to one week.
mika84

Postby mika84 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:52 pm

Doesn't seem to be working now either... ;(

And yes, I'm using IP that's not listed on ORB or DUL list...
mika84

Postby mika84 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Now it seems that queue is being processed. Excellent...

- Thanks

Actually, only SOME mail is getting trough. Just got report...

gourmet.spamgourmet.com[216.218.230.146]: Connection timed out

####################################################################
# THIS IS A WARNING ONLY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. #
####################################################################

Your message could not be delivered for 2 hour(s).
It will be retried until it is 1 day(s) old.

Yep.. 1 day(s)... Only...

If it's about blocking lists, I have tried sending mail using followwing SMTP-servers: mx.safe-mail.net, gw02.mail.saunalahti.fi and smtp.inet.fi...

Btw. This might be stupid question. But how many connections spamgourmet server handles? How long idle it allows without sending any data? Or sending any PROPER data?

I just wonder if it is too easy to DOS this service with opening idle connections or what ever.

Some servers allow session to stay open for very long times without any data being transferred. Wasting a lot of sessions. Naturally proper clients shouldn't keep idle sessions open but... U know.
Last edited by mika84 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mika84

Postby josh » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:41 pm

well... maybe it's time for a hardware upgrade. I'll see what's available.
josh

Postby mika84 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:45 am

josh wrote:well... maybe it's time for a hardware upgrade. I'll see what's available.

Thanks josh.

- I hate spam!
- I love Spamgourmet!
- It seems to be the time to make another donation.

Some people just simply won't get it. Expensive time is used to handle junk mail. Spamgourmet service has saved me countless hours.
mika84

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...