Addresses in body altered in transit!

Use this forum to get help.

Addresses in body altered in transit!

Postby theq » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:51 am

This is too weird!

I just noticed and confirmed through comparing outbox & inbox that when I send a message that
A) is FROM an SG address, and
B) has my actual (registered with SG) address in the BODY of the email:
somehow, somewhere in transit, the "actual" address in the BODY of the email is being changed to the SG address the mail was to have been from!

After much confusion with my ISP's outsourced support desk (they of course, thought I was referring to an address that they didn't host as my actual address kept being replaced by the SG address I was sending from), I figured this out and tested it by sending an email to myself from an SG address to an SG address - but also to a non-involved work address. I included both - different - addresses in the BODY of the email.

The one I received at work looked normal.
The one I received through my webmail app didn't - the "actual" address in the body had been changed to the SG address!

One email sent to two recipients with different body text upon receipt!

Any ideas? I'm scratching my head on this one!
theq

Postby josh » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:29 pm

The answer to many questions here turns out to be "talk to your ISP", but not this time - this definitely sounds like a SG thing :). Can you send details to "info" or in a private message to josh?

If you have reply address masking enabled, spamgourmet *does* change the body of the email, in that if you send a message back through spamgourmet, it does its best to substitute any instances of your "real" address it finds with the corresponding disposable address. If you sent a message to one of those special redirection addresses (sending it through spamgourmet) and copied it to another address (not going through spamgourmet), then you'd see two versions of the message after it arrived.
josh

Masking both headers AND body?

Postby theq » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:32 pm

josh wrote:If you have reply address masking enabled, spamgourmet *does* change the body of the email, in that if you send a message back through spamgourmet, it does its best to substitute any instances of your "real" address it finds with the corresponding disposable address. If you sent a message to one of those special redirection addresses (sending it through spamgourmet) and copied it to another address (not going through spamgourmet), then you'd see two versions of the message after it arrived.

I do have masking enabled - but I didn't realize SG would edit the body of the text. I thought it would only "protect" the header/addressing information!

So is it the masking that is changing addresses in the body?
(the Law of Unintended Consequences rears its ugly head!)
:oops:
theq

Postby josh » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:49 pm

Is that unintended consequences? It is trying to mask your address, which can (and frequently does) appear all over the message. It doesn't change anything else. It also doesn't delve into mime desconstruction, etc. -- it's just a simple regex on the entire message as a monolithic unit.
josh

No ghost in the machine..

Postby theq » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:29 pm

josh wrote:Is that unintended consequences? It is trying to mask your address, which can (and frequently does) appear all over the message. It doesn't change anything else. It also doesn't delve into mime desconstruction, etc. -- it's just a simple regex on the entire message as a monolithic unit.

Let's just say it was unintended by me... :oops:

Yet again, the machines do exactly what they are asked to do! :)
theq

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...