Excl. sender/remaining count shouldn't matter for hidden IDs

Use this forum to get help.

Excl. sender/remaining count shouldn't matter for hidden IDs

Postby vsp » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:42 pm

Hi,

I remember starting a thread similar to this where I said I was getting emails on hidden IDs and someone replied saying that I should also move the remaining count to 0.

OK, I did that and I still received an email at that ID. Not that I mind, the email wasn't spam, but it still highlighted what I think is a flaw in the algorithm.

This time, I think I received that email because I had made the ID an exclusive sender for itself.

This and the remaining count just shouldn't matter. If I hide an ID, it is because I desire not to receive emails at it. Therefore, SG should first check whether the ID is hidden - and if it is eat the email - and only then bother about remaining email count, exclusive sender, trusted sender and all the other parameters.

Thanks,
vsp
vsp

Postby SysKoll » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:56 pm

It's not a bug, it's a feature. No, really.

As designed, "hiding" the disposable just removes it from a view. It doesnt' affect the way it is processed. If you want to disable it, you have to do it explicitely. Some people want to hide addresses that are uneventfully forwarding email.

Disabling and hiding are two different functions, and for max flexibility, I believe it should stay that way.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby vsp » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:11 pm

Well, then that leads me to ask "How do I _disable_ an ID as opposed to removing it?".

I remember reading on this forum in the past that we need to send private email to someone to disable/delete IDs.

That doesn't work for the scenario I have in mind. I used an SG ID to purchase something from an online site.

They aren't spamming me, but every so often (like once a month) they send me a promotional email. I am not really interested in that email and I would like to save SG the bandwidth cost of forwarding that email to me. So, I want to _disable_ that ID till the next time I need to interact with them, reenable the ID, conduct my next transaction with them and then redisable my ID.

(Sure I could visit their web site and go through a privacy page somewhere that lets me unsubscribe to their promotional posts, but SG provides me a single choke point to do that for a lot of IDs - or it would if I could disable IDs.)

So in addition to the "hide this ID" link, how about providing a "disable this ID" link as well?

vsp
vsp

Postby vsp » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:12 pm

Make that "How do I _disable_ an ID as opposed to hiding/removing it?"

vsp
vsp

Postby SysKoll » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:17 pm

First, a clarification. You talk about "hidden ID". You mean hidden disposable, right?

I'd think the easiest way to disable forwarding the email sent to a disposable would be to put the counter of the disposable to 0.

Now, you might have a special case where the sender is a trusted sender (TS) for your account, or an exclusive sender (XS) for that disposable. Is it the case?

If so, I recommend that you also change the TS or XS by adding a string to the TS or XS. For instance, a TS "mailing.goodguys.com" would become "mailing.goodguys.comDISABLED". This would invalidate the sender match, and the code would then refer to the count, which you set to zero, thus discarding the message.

Hope it makes sense.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...