Missing messages?

Use this forum to get help.

Missing messages?

Postby superconductors » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:31 am

SG seems to be behaving oddly for a mailing list I have recently signed up for. I have received a small number of the emails sent to the list, but the larger proportion of them does not seem to be delivered (from looking at the archive). The remaining count for the address is still 20 howevever (or rather was until I sent two test email - it is now 18. I haven't increased it).

Sent is 36 and Deleted is 60. I'm not sure how it is possible for more emails to have been deleted rather than sent, nor how the remaining could still be 20 after mail (not from or to a trusted sender) got through. My other addresses all have Deleted<=Sent and behave as I would expect. Why would it be eating messages if the remaining count is still 18 ?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Paul
superconductors

Postby josh » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:11 pm

can you PM with the details about the particular address?
josh

Postby irishman » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:42 pm

I have also experienced missing messages recently. I issued a new spamgourmet address this week to buy something online. My SG address list shows that SG created the address on 16 Aug and the count of messages forwarded is now 3. However I have not received any of them. I have been a SG user for several years (and very pleased with the service) using the same protected address but I have never experienced this problem before.
Gerry Mc
irishman

Postby SysKoll » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:10 pm

What ISP are you using for the protected address? Your ISP might have decided to do some new "intelligent" spam filtering, such as filter all the addresses containing the word spam... Don't laugh, people actually SELL that kind of crap and CEO buy that...
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:17 am

If the counter goes up showing that a message has been sent, we've never seen it not make it out of our servers. By the time our software increments that counter, it has already sent the message, which from that point goes through the industry standard mail server (sendmail :) ) on its way to the forwarding address. What happens to it when it leaves our server is, of course, out of our control -- usually, when messages don't arrive, they've fallen victim to spam filtering by the user's ISP.
josh

Postby irishman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:33 am

My ISP say they have not made any changes recently which would affect messages from SG. I have now tested the "rogue" address by sending a message to it and that was forwarded OK. If it was just one message that got lost I would think it is just one of those odd things that happen from time to time but three messages lost seemed to indicate something going wrong. Despite what they say I think the fault was with my ISP.
Thanks to SG for a great service.
Gerry Mc
irishman

Postby josh » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:52 pm

I'm not aware that spamgourmet is listed on any blacklists right now, but it has been mistakenly listed before (for various reasons, the most frequent of which is spamgourmet users mistakenly reporting the spamgourmet server as the source of spam). Frankly, we don't bother keeping up with what the blacklists do (with the exception of spamcop), because we don't have the time.

If your ISP uses a blacklist onto which spamgourmet was added recently, that could explain the difference even in the absence of a config change on their part.
josh

Postby superconductors » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:11 am

josh wrote:can you PM with the details about the particular address?

I am pretty sure they aren't being eaten by ISP spam filter (those end up in the Spam folder). Why aren't I seeing the message count go up on the messages I recieve? Am I misunderstanding how spamgourmet works? Why would I have deleted messages without the count having run out?

Paul
superconductors

A specific way to lose messages - needs a code fix

Postby xyz » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:35 pm

I was not receiving numerous messages from one source.
I tracked it to the way SG parsed the 'From:' field.

The second format is apparently legal (I did not dig through RFC 822.) and has been created for eons by VMS on a DEC VAX.

It was easy to test using 'sendmail' on a Linux box to create the different 'From:' formats.
Ed
xyz

Postby SysKoll » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:54 pm

Weird, the form
user@host (user name)
should be supported... Josh, where is the latest version of the code?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby xavierg2 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:18 pm

I experienced also problems:

2 new addresses. I see the counter decreasing, but don't receive any mail.

I tried sending from the same source (1) to an address direcly to my inbox and there I receive the mails.

(1) In fact this is a blog where the comments must be approved. I chaged the mail address overthere

Xavier
xavierg2

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...