Can't reply to Yahoo (via reply masking)

Use this forum to get help.

Can't reply to Yahoo (via reply masking)

Postby lwc » Wed May 11, 2005 2:08 pm

One of my addresses (it ends with "neverbox") has an exclusive sender from Yahoo.
Whenever I use the reply masked address to reply, the exclusive sender doesn't get the message at all (unless it gets in the spam folder of Yahoo).

But it DOES work if I manually fake my "from" header and send to the real e-mail Yahoo address instead.

Eventually, the destination's name is the same in both cases, so what gives?

Is it because the former option (reply masked address) gets sent to you first and it somehow irritates Yahoo?
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Wed May 11, 2005 2:25 pm

It's because some fluffbrain at Yahoo has reported our machine as a spammer, probably without even realizing it. Ask your correspondant to manually whitelist you.

Do you Yahoo? Heck no.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Thu May 12, 2005 6:41 am

First of all, if that's true, how come it doesn't delete direct messages from whatever@neverbox (BTW, I haven't tried other domains in both methods)?

Secondly, do you think it gets sent into the spam folder, or not even that?

Thirdly, how come you don't publish something that big somewhere visible ("Oh, and you can't use this service to send messages to Yahoo - at least not using reply masking").

Thanks.
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Thu May 12, 2005 2:15 pm

We cannot really be sure because we don't have any control over what Yahoo does at a given time.

Chances are that the missing messages are in your correspondant spam folder.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Thu May 12, 2005 3:51 pm

I just tried a test with a yahoo mail account, and I was able to send and receive mail through address masking.

I was looking at some other spam messages in the inbox, and I used the yahoo interface to mark them as spam -- I noticed that there was an option to deny future messages from the sender (senders?) -- I left it unchecked. I then did the same thing with another message, but was not presented with the option any longer -- it was as if I had set an account-level default with the first operation.

Could it be that your receiver once checked that box and then later (or at the same time), marked one of your messages as spam? I don't know the way that yahoo determines the "sender" -- it may be by looking at the Return-Path: header value rather than the From: value -- if that's the case, the messages you sent through masking and directly may have actually had different senders, as far as yahoo was concerned.
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...