Like trusted sender, can I create a trusted receiver ?

Use this forum to get help.

Like trusted sender, can I create a trusted receiver ?

Postby subu » Wed May 11, 2005 10:25 am

- I have subscribed to a newgroup, with a spamgourmet address (to avoid robots collecting my original address)

- I post using this disposable address

- I wish to get all mail SENT TO that group - but wish to filter mail that may be sent directly TO my sg address (max 20 or so)

to Explain
----------------------

- Unfortunately this news groups doesn't seem to have a subject /or/ other identifiable common watchword

- mail come with the "From :" header of the sender (individual participants) and NOT with the group address

- The only identifiable commanality seems to be the "To:" header or "To:" address in these mail - which is the newsgroup address

- so I need to create something like a trusted "receiver", i.e. all mail sent to newsgroup@xyz.com and re directed to my sg address are to be delivered to my inbox , but any direct mail to my address - say ng.20.xyz@spamgourmet.com are to be allowed max 20 numbers

- is this possible

- if so how ?

TIA

-
subu

Postby SysKoll » Wed May 11, 2005 2:22 pm

Generally, for mailing lists, the "To" field contains a list mailer destination. For instance, I subscribe to the mailing list of a group I'll call XYZ.org. The mailings always have a To field equal to "mailer@list.xyz.org". This allows me to put it as an exclusive sender. To be precise, I put xyz.org as the exclusive sender because there are several mailing lists managed by this organization, but you get the idea.

Check your headers. Can you see anything like that?
Last edited by SysKoll on Wed May 11, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Wed May 11, 2005 3:08 pm

SysKoll wrote:Generally, for mailing lists, the "To" field contains a list mailer destination. For instance, I subscribe to the mailing list of a group I'll call XYZ.org. The mailings always have a To field equal to "mailer@list.xyz.org". This allows me to put it as a trusted sender. To be precise, I put xyz.org as the trusted sender because there are several mailing lists managed by this organization, but you get the idea.

Thanks for the reply

Found and using the "*exclusive* sender" option - not the trusted sender

This was explained in the FAQ

Thanks once again

Regards

Postby SysKoll » Wed May 11, 2005 6:42 pm

You are right, I meant exclusive sender.

My previous post was edited accordingly.

Thank you!
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby lwc » Thu May 12, 2005 6:48 am

Wait a minute, so the "exclusive sender" field can also be use as an "exclusive receiver"?

Is it something to the effect of:
Code: Select all
if ($from=$exclusive_sender) or ($to=$exclusive_sender) then
forward...
else
eat...
lwc

Postby ebuleheb » Thu May 12, 2005 8:31 am

yes
ebuleheb

multiple exclusive senders ?

Postby guest » Thu May 12, 2005 8:04 pm

SysKoll wrote:Generally, for mailing lists, the "To" field contains a list mailer destination. For instance, I subscribe to the mailing list of a group I'll call XYZ.org. The mailings always have a To field equal to "mailer@list.xyz.org". This allows me to put it as an exclusive sender. To be precise, I put xyz.org as the exclusive sender because there are several mailing lists managed by this organization, but you get the idea.

Thanks for the replies

Can I have multiple *exclusive* senders for a given address. The situation is something like

I wish to get unlimited mail from
- list@abcetc.com
- list-bounces@abcetc.com
- list-owner@abcetc.com
- list-help@abcetc.com

but *not* from
- user1@abcetc.com
- user2@abcetc.com

So I can*not* use the domain name , but wish to have *multiple* exclusive senders

Is that possible ? if so how ?

Regards

thanks

Postby lwc » Fri May 13, 2005 7:05 am

Originally, I'd say you could use:
list@abcetc.com|list-bounces@abcetc.com|list-owner@abcetc.com|list-help@abcetc.com

But according to a recent topic, the exclusive sender field uses regexp to its fullest.
Therefore, you can might as well use:
list(.*)@abcetc.com

"(.*)" is a wildcard, which means that as long as the "from" starts with "list", everything after which (including nothing, i.e. just list@) is allowed.
lwc

Postby Guest » Fri May 13, 2005 8:55 am

[quote="lwc"]Originally, I'd say you could use:
list@abcetc.com|list-bounces@abcetc.com|list-owner@abcetc.com|list-help@abcetc.com

Thanks.

What is the delimiter that you have used between the addresses ?

I'd like to try both the individual addresses and also the "*" expression later

TIA

Postby lwc » Fri May 13, 2005 10:46 am

Your quote of myself got broken.

Anyway, "|" = "or" (this address or that address or that one, etc.).

Keep in mind that both "|" and "(.*)" are regexp symbols, so it's not like the former is more compatible with Spamgourmet or anything like that. Both are equally compatible.

The only difference is that the former is a manual solution and the latter is an automatical one.

So maybe you should actually start with the latter (it's easier and will automatically support changed/new addresses as long as they start with "list") and only change it if you start getting messages from list-iamannoying@, etc...
lwc

Postby Guest » Fri May 13, 2005 11:51 am

lwc wrote:Your quote of myself got broken.

Anyway, "|" = "or" (this address or that address or that one, etc.).

Keep in mind that both "|" and "(.*)" are regexp symbols, so it's not like the former is more compatible with Spamgourmet or anything like that. Both are equally compatible.

The only difference is that the former is a manual solution and the latter is an automatical one.

So maybe you should actually start with the latter (it's easier and will automatically support changed/new addresses as long as they start with "list") and only change it if you start getting messages from list-iamannoying@, etc...

Ok.

Now I understand that "|" - without the quotes, is one of the delimiters to separate two addresses

Second issue
---------------------
Should the wildcard be just "*" or "(*)" - with the () or without them ?

TIa

Postby lwc » Fri May 13, 2005 1:12 pm

Clearly the new tricky submit button is not the answer.
I'm telling you, only forcing previews does the job.

Anyway, to your question:
is one of the delimiters to separate two addresses

Is there another that I don't know about?

Should the wildcard be just "*" or "(*)" - with the () or without them ?

This isn't DOS.
The wildcard is actually the only part you haven't mentioned - the dot (".").
. is like the * from DOS (i.e. everything or nothing).
Well, sort of. Because in DOS * is enough and here the wildcard is accompanied by * or +, which signal how many times can something (in the case of ".", make it everything) be repeated.

* means whatever is inside (here)* can be repeated 0 or more times. So "foobar" would work. So would "here" and so would "hereherehere".

There's also +, which means 1 or more times (not 0). So (here)+ means that "here" would work, so would "hereherehere" and so would "herehereherehere", but "foobar" wouldn't.
In other words, there must be at least one mention of "here"!

() just means which part can be repeated. It signals which letters you refer to. After all, without it, how would it know whether (allofthis)* should be repeated or just the word "this", in which case it'd be allof(this)*, get it?

So now you can understand that "(.*)" or "(.+)" means that everything can be repeated.
In the case of "list(.*)" or "list(.+)", it would work for list@ (well, only in the former case), list-bla@, list-whatever@, listing@, etc.

This all belongs to a sub-language (with the lack of a better term) called "regular expressions" (aka regexp) that is a part of all the major programming languages (Javascript, CGI, PHP, etc.).
Last edited by lwc on Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lwc

Postby SysKoll » Fri May 13, 2005 10:00 pm

Good explanation about the regexps.

For a nice little tutorial on the subject, see http://analyser.oli.tudelft.nl/regex/index.html.en.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Fri May 13, 2005 10:19 pm

lwc -- do you know a way to force previews via configuration in phpbb2?
josh

Postby lwc » Fri May 13, 2005 10:49 pm

The link is broken because after the word "en" in the link, you put an extra "." (no pun intended).

Sorry, Josh, I don't use PHPBB2, but I didn't know PHPBB2 forums can use a submit approval either. Yours was the first forum I've seen with such a thing.
lwc

Next

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...