Unable to remain logged on w/Safari and IE

Use this forum to get help.

Unable to remain logged on w/Safari and IE

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:08 am

Mac OS X, Safari 1.0 or IE 5.2.1, all cookies enabled.

Regardless of which browser I use, AND whether I use the regular or secure login mode, I am unable to stay logged into my SG account.

For instance:
* I log in to my Advanced SG page and try to set up a new From: (me@SG)/To: whoever@wherever address.
* Instead of going to the expected page, I get dumped onto a blank SG address page (i.e. none of my SG addresses listed) and see that I'm no longer logged in. :shock:

WTF?? :evil:

This has been an intermittent problem for me in the past, but today I'm not able to work with my SG account at all.

Postby josh » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:02 am

what are your cookie settings? sg needs to set a session cookie for the login state.

are you behind a caching proxy? If so, switching to "secure" mode may resolve the problem.
josh

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:58 am

josh wrote:what are your cookie settings? sg needs to set a session cookie for the login state.

As I stated above, all cookies are enabled. Specifically: in Safari, "Accept cookies" is set to "Always." (The other choices are: "Never" and "Only to sites you navigate to.") In IE, "When receiving cookies" is set to "Never ask." (The other choices are: "Ask for each site," "Ask for each cookie," and "Never accept.") Those are the only choices regarding cookies I'm given, in both browsers.

josh wrote:are you behind a caching proxy? If so, switching to "secure" mode may resolve the problem.

I am not using a proxy. And I mentioned above that I've tried "secure mode" w/o luck. :(

Postby josh » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:43 pm

ah -- indeed you did say those things above. Can you set cookies to 'warn' and see what your browser says about the cookies that are getting set.

Also, is your IP address staying the same between requests?
josh

... and it continues ...

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:39 am

Josh, thanks for continuing to try to help. :)

josh wrote:Can you set cookies to 'warn' and see what your browser says about the cookies that are getting set.

Can't do this on Safari ... gives me the option of accepting all cookies, no cookies, or only cookies from sites I navigate to.

On IE:

-- Upon arriving at the SG site, I get the following:

"You have been sent a cookie with the following values:
    Site: spruce.he.net/
    Expiration: this session
    Data: EN
Do you want to accept it? You can decline, but the site may not work properly without it."

-- After submitting the login form, I get the same request, but with nothing shown in the Data section. I accepted both cookies, and still was not allowed to remain logged in past the first screen after login.

josh wrote:Also, is your IP address staying the same between requests?

No.

Addendum

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:41 am

I tried downloading a couple of different browsers to see if there would be a difference. One update, actually, and a completely different browser.

On the slightly newer version of IE, still no luck.

But with Firefox, I was able to stay logged in and actually use my SG account. This is great, but I'd like to be able to stick with my default browser (which is Safari) if at all possible.

Any further ideas?

Postby josh » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:03 pm

the login cookie is called "token" or something like that -- the data for it should be a long string of random-ish letters and numbers. Did you see that one?
josh

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:35 am

josh wrote:the login cookie is called "token" or something like that -- the data for it should be a long string of random-ish letters and numbers. Did you see that one?

No, that definitely didn't show up!

I'm not sure why IE would just stop working with SG's site ... it's worked before! I'm not sure that I've ever been able to stay logged in with Safari, so that's why I went to IE in the first place.

I guess that I'll stick with using Firefox to access SG from now on, since it seems to work flawlessly. (I can even stay logged in between sessions.) Just kind of a PITA to have this happen for whatever reason.

I also don't stay logged, but without proxy in non-secure

Postby C_Thomas » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:20 pm

Dear Josh and Spamgourmet users,

I also noticed problems concerning the login at spamgourmet.com for some months: Beginning a session at your site, I first log in in non-secure mode. It is successfull. Then I navigate through the site and Spamgourmet forgets my login. It says "There was a problem with your login. Please log in again."

:arrow: In my individual case, I can get round the problem: I change to secure mode and everything works fine. I'm verry happy with Spamgourmet.

I use MS Internet Explorer Version 5.50.4522.1800. My browser's parameter "Look for newer versions of the stored page" is set to automatically by default. No proxy. My ISP is German T-Online und my IP-address changes each session. Cookies are enabled. My session today finished with these 2 cookies:

thomas_ch@images.spamgourmet[3].txt
phpbb2mysql_data
[snip]
images.spamgourmet.com/

thomas_ch@www.spamgourmet[3].txt
token
[snip]
www.spamgourmet.com/

Happy spam eating,
Mr C. Thomas, Germany
C_Thomas

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...