Setting up my own spamgourmet-like service - what do i need?

Use this forum to get help.

Setting up my own spamgourmet-like service - what do i need?

Postby herb » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:58 pm

Since the server-problems last year, spamgourmet isn't as fast as it was before, anymore. (Maybe this is also due to increasing user-numbers and increasing misuse of this service)
Now i'm waiting for 2 mails for over an hour for example.
So i thought about setting up my own spamgourmet-like service. This would be only for 1 user - me.
Now the noob's question: Can i do this by renting webspace&domainname including perl-interpreter, or do i have to run my own server to be able to run the spamgourmet-script on it?

Sorry if this question sounds unbelievably stupid in your ears. me be dumb.

It would also be an acceptebal solution for me if you decided to set up a paid, more reliable version of spamgourmet. I'd be willing to pay for that - i couldn't imagine a life without spamgourmet any more.
herb

Postby SysKoll » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:15 pm

You need a server where you have the root password (which can actually be a virtual server) so you can install and customize a number of packages. This is the so-called "virtual private server" setup. There are plenty of providers for this. For example, check out the VPS offer of NetEndeavors.net, at http://www.netendeavors.net/ (Disclaimer: they host a test server for us).
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:00 pm

whow - that was quick, thank you!

Any alternatives to root access?

Postby tpt » Tue May 19, 2009 1:17 pm

I'd really like to be able to host the Spamgourmet software on my own domain, but I don't have root access or a virtual private server. My hosting package does give me: Linux, sendmail, apache, mysql and perl, but I don't have shell access (or presumably root access). Everything is done through a control panel.

Is there any workaround that would still allow me to install the software?

Thanks very much!
tpt

Re: Any alternatives to root access?

Postby gourmet » Fri May 22, 2009 2:30 pm

You can always write your own version, which maybe doesn't require at all UI. And uses only procmail. Shouldn't be too hard if you're developer guy. I assume you'll get it done in a few weekends.
Last edited by gourmet on Tue May 26, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
gourmet

Postby tpt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:46 pm

What exactly is root access needed for? It's not clear from the install.txt.

It would be great if someone came up with a new version of the Spamgourmet software that uses the standard packages instead of requiring a VPS with customized versions.

Unfortunately I'm not a developer at all, so this is beyond my skills.
tpt

Postby gourmet » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:45 am

Basically SpamGourmet is quite simple application. I could write GAE version of it. Then everyone could quite easily install their own instance of it at GAE. In case there is any interest, open source app could be tweaked by users with nice features, adding all kind of features they wish to have.

Maybe if I get bored during holydays. I'll write on. Basic functionality with light ui, no multi-user support, should be doable in a few days.

There is a problem with reply masking, it wouldn't work with free AppEngine accounts. With free accounts google only allows sending email using either app admin or "registered user" email. Which practically means that there is no point implementing reply mapping. Handling inbound traffic wouldn't be a problem. Things like watchword encofcement, trusted senders are totally trivial to write with Python and GAE APIs.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/p ... gmail.html

Free quota allows ~2000 emails / day forwarded and about 3000 / day ignored. Or 7000 / day ignored if no forwards.

Without multiuser support everyone who whiches to use this forwarding service, would need to install their own instance. Where their own hidden email address is registered as adminstrative address.

YourOwnRandomAddress@YourAppAddress.appspot.com
Last edited by gourmet on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gourmet

Postby tpt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks, that would be wonderful! :D Then there could be many, many Spamgourmet-type servers out there.

I have just voted my support for this idea by making a $5 PayPal donation to Spamgourmet. And I would like to invite others to do the same!!

https://www.spamgourmet.com/index.pl?printpage=donate.html
tpt

Postby josh » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:31 pm

for the record, we've never run the spamgourmet code with root access.

For the first couple of years, in fact, the public service was running on a fairly standard $10/month linux web hosting account. When we got up to about 30k users, the provider (rightfully) complained we were burning too much CPU, and we had to go dedicated.

You need to have the mail host (aka "domain") that's involved configured in the mail server to have all the mail sent to a particular unix account, and then have all the mail for that account piped the spamgourmet script. When we were using the cheap hosting account, the provider didn't do anything special for us - all mail for our domain was sent to the unix account by default, and we used a .forward file to set up the pipe command.

The configuration to sendmail to establish the sending of mail to the account may require root access, and (especially with newer distros), there may be restrictions on sendmail invoking an executable unless it's symlinked in /etc/smrsh (or some other smrsh directory), and making that link may require root access, but these are both initial set-up tasks, and don't directly involve the spamgourmet code at all.
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...