Make an sg address unlimited?

Use this forum to get help.

Make an sg address unlimited?

Postby eitan » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:39 pm

Is there any way to allow an unlimited number of email to an existing SG address after that address was created with a fixed number?

Note: I'm not interested in creating exclusive senders. I want to accept mail at this address from many senders for a limited amount of time.

Thank you,

Eitan
eitan

Postby Skeeve » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:05 pm

No. But why not create a script that resets the counter to 20 each time a mail arrives?
Skeeve

Re: Make an sg address unlimited?

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:10 am

eitan wrote:Note: I'm not interested in creating exclusive senders. I want to accept mail at this address from many senders for a limited amount of time.

You may have to... and use your own disposable-address as the exclusive sender; after you're done you'll need to remove the exclusive sender

From the FAQ
Q. Is there a way to give an address that allows the initial sender to send an unlimited number of messages, but eats mail from anyone else ('exclusive sender')?
A. <snip>
Also, if it's the "to" address that is unique for a particular mailing list you want to use, that will work just as well here (just don't put the disposable address itself here, of course, since that would have the effect of allowing an unlimited number of messages from anyone).

Postby josh » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:06 am

please don't do this casually -- it's a lot more expensive to forward a message than it is to "eat" it, and the ratio of eaten to forwarded messages has to stay high for our servers to continue to support a bunch of users.

We had some users script a bunch of addresses (a no-no to begin with), and had them all forwarding all messages -- it got to where a few users were using almost all the system resources, and we we had to disable the accounts to keep the service going.
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...