mailto link broken

Use this forum to get help.

mailto link broken

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:36 pm

Hi this is a possible bug. In the past I would use the

'click here to send a message from this address'

link on the advanced page to send emails from one of my disposable addresses. I use pine in a terminal so I would not actually click on the mailto link that this generated, but instead I would just copy and paste the text of the address into pine. (I would not control click and select 'copy address' because then when I would paste this would munge the # into a %23)

Today I tried it and I got a bizarre mailto address generated. There were what appeared as two spaces dirrectly before the @ in the text of the email address generated. When I pasted it into pine the two spaces translated into %C2%A0. I am using Safari 1.2.3 (v125.9) as the browser, hope this helps in some way and thanks for the fantastic service of SpamGourmet.

Mike
Mike

Postby josh » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:36 pm

did it work with safari before? I'm unable to replicate, but I'm using firefox in w2k.
josh

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:33 am

josh wrote:did it work with safari before? I'm unable to replicate, but I'm using firefox in w2k.

Yes it worked before with Safari although it may be the case that I have not done it since I did the 09-07-2004 Security Update v1.0 and from a co-worker I have heard that this update 'broke' the User-Agent causing him to make some of his web code smarter. Here is my current User-Agent:

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.4.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.9

Hope that helps. I am currently installing the v1.1 version of this update and will see if this fixes the issue.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:05 am

Okay I did the update but I think I can chalk the strange mailto to user error. :roll:

First the new User-Agent and I think I see where the problem may have been for my coworker, notice the x.y form that has returned. The broken update had a x.y.z format:

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.9

But here is what I think that happened and why I think the error was on my part. After the update I did the 'click here to send a message from this address' again. When I was entering the destination address I got a drop-down list of two email addresses and the most recent one had two whitespace characters after the email address! Now I remember that when the problem appeared I had copy and pasted the recipient email address from the exclusive sender field with the mouse. I must have selected a little too much and that obviously ends-up before the @ in the temporary email address with the whitespace characters url-encoded!

Okay, so I AM a moron, sorry about that Josh. No really VERY sorry you do not need boneheads like me around to waste your time with a great service like spamgourmet. But... Then again I may not be the first and last bonehead, maybe it is possible to strip the whitespace characters from the recipient email address when the form is submitted without too much work.

Again, thanks and sorry.

Postby josh » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:52 am

trimming spaces is pretty basic for inputs -- I added it (just for the recipient, now I think about it -- but that's what's most likely to be pasted). Thanks.

Some other people have asked for valid email address syntax checking for the 'word' and the recipient, but I still haven't added it (and when we do, it won't be perfect). Adding a new feature is the first step down a slippery slope :)
josh

Wow that was fast

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:23 am

And thanks too.
Mike

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...