what if forwarding address ISP rejects email?

Use this forum to get help.

what if forwarding address ISP rejects email?

Postby CTone » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:30 pm

Hi all,
My mail "hub" is hosted with my web at Verio.

Recently Verio has set up an antispam system (do not provide details) that evaluates incoming *AND* outgoing emails for spamminess.

If result is "high probability", email is "rejected" No more info.

I am afraid that when SG forwards email to my verio mail hub Verio may be rejecting them.

What does SG do in such situation?

Thanks,
CTone.
CTone

Postby josh » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:37 pm

nothing :)

Are you missing mail?
josh

Nothing?

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:46 am

Well, I feel I am loosing mail. I should be receiving mail from a certain www.coollist.com list, but they do not arrive. Don´t know where the problem is. I cannot confirm yet that it is Verio email defense system ...

What do you mean by nothing?

If my ISP rejects a message, SG will just discard it? Will not "inform" to the sender? Will not at least "log" this fact so I can check with SG?

Thanks.

sorry last post was mine

Postby CTone » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:47 am

sorry last post was mine ...
CTone

Postby josh » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:48 am

that's right -- it won't inform the sender. Please realize that this level of error handling would quickly overwhelm our servers and that holding off on this soft of thing is a big part of why we're able to stay free (and even so, I'd be interested to learn of a commercial service that manages to do this). Look at the stats -- >90% of email reaching sg is spam. Most of those messages are sent by forging bots -- if they're warned, it'll generate more bounces. We may be able to build in logging in the future, but that will be challenging as well -- sg partially "remails" the message to the forwarding address, and so a bounce comes back to a single system address with no easy way to tell which account it came from -- this address also receives a *lot* of other messages, almost all of which are meaninglessly generated by the various unsavory automated processes at work in the digital underworld. It will require quite a bit of CPU to separate the tiny signal from the enormous noise.

Have you tried temporarily switching the forwarding address for your account? That can isolate any problems with the current one. Get a gmail address (I've got 6 invitations to give out, if you need one :)) or a yahoo account or something for this purpose.
josh

thanks

Postby CTone » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:20 pm

Well, in the mean time Verio added a way to manage the spam process by its customers. Not rather flexible but does it:

- reject all high/medium level detected spam
- reject high , let pass medium and mark it as [SPAM]
- no rejection

there are also white and blacklists that have precedence over
the above settings ...

Seems that everything goes normal now ...

A logging of rejected forwarded mail would be interesting but if difficult/costly we could live without it ...

Thanks for the invitations.

Do you know
http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php

:-)
CTone

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...