Setting advanced mode as default on login

Use this forum to get help.

Setting advanced mode as default on login

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:21 am

Hello,

I looked all over the faq and could not find anything about it. Is there a way to set advanced mode as the default? Everytime I login I have to click advanced mode. I would really like advance to be my default.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob

Postby ebuleheb » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:02 pm

The only way is to add a trusted sender or a watchword. If you don't want to use those features you could just add a dummy trusted sender (e.g. asdfasdfasdf@example.org).
ebuleheb

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:22 am

'ebuleheb' may have accidentally posted to the wrong thread. His reply relates to disposable creation, not this topic.

LOGGING IN TO ADVANCED PAGE:

There is no description of these methods in the instructions, although they may have been mentioned in another thread of which I am unaware. I worked them out by experimentation.

There are two methods:

[1]
Use the link from your confirmation email, and add '&advanced=1' [code number simulated]:

http://www.spamgourmet.com/disposableem ... advanced=1

[2]
Or, use your actual user name and password [substitute for 'UserName' and 'Password']:

http://spamgourmet.com/?user=UserName&p ... advanced=1

I prefer the confirmation email method, since your actual password is NOT stored as part of the link in your address book or whatever. If someone steals your link, they can read your addresses, change your trusted senders, and even change your forwarding address, but they CANNOT CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD; you can still use your regular login to clean up your account and forward back to yourself again, locking the thief back out.

A more useful login is the list of disposables, by adding '&myemails=1' to your confirmation link:

http://www.spamgourmet.com/disposableem ... myemails=1

If you lost your confirmation link, change your forwarding address to something at random [like a friend's email], and then back to the correct address, and the server will send you a fresh link.

Postby ebuleheb » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:29 pm

No, I posted in the correct thread. If you have any watchwords or trusted senders, you'll automatically go to the advanced screen instead of the basic one. It's much easier than having those links and you won't need a bookmark for that (just going to spamgourmet site is enough).
ebuleheb

Postby josh » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:07 pm

the advanced=1 in the URL will always send you to advanced mode. Having a watchword or trusted sender will, too.

The trick for not having to log in is hopefully not necessary anymore, since you can use the "remember me" checkbox to make the login cookie persistent (very enterprising of someone to figure all that out about the confirmation messages -- it's not documented on the site anywhere...)
josh

Postby Guest of Aug 16, 2004 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:56 am

Thank you, ebuleheb. I haven't used watchwords or trusted senders, and so remained ignorant. In hindsight [20/20, or even 20/15, ha-ha] it's logical for them to trigger advanced mode.

Hello Josh: I believe I recognize you as one of our founders. Thank you [and SysKol, and others unknown to me] for a great system and service, and a hearty 'well done!'

Thanks for your compliment, Josh, but I was not THAT enterprising. Verifying my email with a link was more convenient than manually entering name and password, and the server let me confirm repeatedly with the same link. Once I saw the URL changing, I read the page source, tried the commands with the confirmation, and viola! [sic] - control.

Since I insist on no cookies, scripts, active X,Y,Z, blah, blah unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, I never got as far as testing the persistent cookie because the site 'worked' once session cookies were enabled. Again, I remained ignorant.

At the risk of drifting off topic, I must say that I wish the site worked completely without scripts or cookies, and I intend to start a new thread [when time permits] to outline a method which I believe would secure a session without them. I am not yet well versed in server scripting; I have to do a bit of personal preparation.

I will drift off topic yet again with an anecdote. Since starting my account [and strong-arming associates to do likewise], my disposables tagged no less than 3 computer hijackings by mass-mailing robots, and 4 outright email scams. Good work, spamgourmet!

By the way, this guy with a Nigerian diamond mine got my email from one of my 'friends' [my PETFINDER (!) posting]. They say 'xxx.username....' [MY DOG!] has a sharp eye for investment.... Anybody want 'in' on the ground floor?
Guest of Aug 16, 2004

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...