Error in From-Address-Translation

Use this forum to get help.

Error in From-Address-Translation

Postby pk » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:16 am

Dear SG-developers:

First let me congratulate you for this wonderful service!

I noticed one problem:

Someone sends mail to xx.username@dfgh.net
This will be forwarded and the From-Adress will be changed into:
<+xx+username+magic+address.of#sender@spamgourmet.com>
If I reply to this mail the recipent will ge a message from
<xx.z.username@spamgourmet.com>

This is a very nice feature, but it would be even nicer if

a) The From-Address of the original mail would be changed to:
<+xx+username+magic+address.of#sender@dfgh.net>

b) The From-Address of the reply-mail would be changed to:
<xx.username@dfgh.net> (no z between xx and username)

I guess you use a database where you store all these
magic-numbers. Why not storing the original Adress (ie.
xx.username@dfgh.net) in this database, so it can be
used later, when the reply arrived.

Regards

Peter
pk

Postby josh » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:45 pm

We do, in fact, store the full disposable address in the database - search the discussion groups for 'exemplar' and you'll see what's been said about it.

I'd say that there are two possibilities to explain your problem:

1) your address predates the moving of the alternative domain names to the main server -- previously, a message to xoxy.net would get sent to a server that would susbstitute @spamgourmet.com for @xoxy.net (the %1 substitution discussed in the FAQ). So by the time the message got to the sg server, it actually *was* to a @spamgourmet.com address, and that's what got recorded as the exemplar. That's been a while now, though.

2) maybe the first message to the address was BCC'ed or something like that? I'm not sure about all the possibilities here, but it seems possible that there could be an initial delivery that would obscure the to: address in such a way that the exemplar gets messed up.

If you have some time, try creating a new address, and tracking what happens to see if we can pinpoint it.
josh

Postby pk » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:00 pm

I just tested it again

1) Created new user account
2) Sent messages to dfgh.username@dfgh.net from different places
3) Sent messages to xoxy.username@xoxy.net from different palces
4) They all arrive in my mailbox with From-Address
<+...+username+magic.senders#address@spamgourmet.com>

Peter
pk

Postby josh » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:44 pm

Is that really a problem, though? Those @spamgourmet.com addresses are just intermediate tokens to make sure your reply goes back through spamgourmet -- they're not what the person on the other side is going to see. Those addresses stand in the place of the third party's address, not the dispsoable address.

What happens when you reply to one of those? -- look at the reply that's gone back through spamgourmet, and (hopefully), you'll see the original disposable address (...@xoxy.net) in the From: spot.
josh

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:07 am

josh wrote:Is that really a problem, though? Those @spamgourmet.com addresses are just intermediate tokens to make sure your reply goes back through spamgourmet -- they're not what the person on the other side is going to see. Those addresses stand in the place of the third party's address, not the dispsoable address.

What happens when you reply to one of those? -- look at the reply that's gone back through spamgourmet, and (hopefully), you'll see the original disposable address (...@xoxy.net) in the From: spot.

Josh, you are absolutely right!
If a new address is created by sending something to xxx.username@dfgh.net, everything works just fine. If I create an address with yyy.username@spamgourmet.com and someone uses yyy.username@dfgh.net later the From-Address-Translation will still use yyy.username@spamgourmet.com. But that's fine too.

Thanks for the abswer

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...