no-limit address does not always work: annoying!

Use this forum to get help.

no-limit address does not always work: annoying!

Postby rbarakX » Thu May 06, 2004 4:03 pm

Hi,
I set up a no-limit address (by using the hack of setting the address as the exclusive sender).
However, whenever I receive a read-confirmation, the message counter increments.
Could you suggest something to change this annoying behavior ?
Thanks,
Ron.
rbarakX

Postby Guest » Thu May 06, 2004 8:01 pm

try putting a dot (period . ) as the exclusive sender. I haven't tried it, but it might work.

Postby Guest » Sat May 08, 2004 8:54 am

Anonymous wrote:try putting a dot (period . ) as the exclusive sender. I haven't tried it, but it might work.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll try it.

Postby Guest » Tue May 18, 2004 8:01 pm

Hi Anonymous,

I tried your suggestion:

Anonymous wrote:try putting a dot (period . ) as the exclusive sender. I haven't tried it, but it might work.

and so far so good: works like a charm.

Many thanks,
Ron.

Postby Robmonster » Thu May 20, 2004 3:54 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but whats the point of a no limit address?

RM
Robmonster

Postby ttancredi » Fri May 21, 2004 11:25 pm

I cannot speak for Ron. I would use an infinite limit as an expedient way to administer addresses that I give to senders that I think have a low chance of spamming the address or of giving the address to someone who will spam it.

Say I hand out an address that allows unlimited messages. In the common case, I never have to touch that address again. In the rare case, I am back to the old days -- I get spam. But only until I set the message limit to zero or hide the address.

Imposing no message limit is a bad strategy if the recipient of the address is likely to spam you. For me, the strategy works well for most of the entities I give an email address to.
Tank
ttancredi

Postby Guest » Sun May 23, 2004 2:11 pm

ttancredi wrote:I cannot speak for Ron. I would use an infinite limit as an expedient way to administer addresses that I give to senders that I think have a low chance of spamming the address or of giving the address to someone who will spam it.

Say I hand out an address that allows unlimited messages. In the common case, I never have to touch that address again. In the rare case, I am back to the old days -- I get spam. But only until I set the message limit to zero or hide the address.

Couldn't say it better :-)

Ron.

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...