0sg.net bouncing for bad reverse lookups?

Use this forum to get help.

0sg.net bouncing for bad reverse lookups?

Postby geekciro » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:09 pm

Nothing has recently changed on my end, but as of this morning, any attempt to send to my @0sg.net addresses (including "shielded" replies) are getting kicked back from gourmet7

host gourmet7.spamgourmet.com[216.75.62.102]
said: 550-X-Host-Lookup-Failed: Reverse DNS lookup does not match for
my.smarthost.ip.addr 550 (deferred) (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

The smarthost does have a properly set up reverse DNS/PTR/DKIM/DMARC/etc.., though, and has been working just fine for ages. It's not having issues with other mailservers using reverse-lookup checking (including my incoming smtp server).

Did something change?
geekciro

Re: 0sg.net bouncing for bad reverse lookups?

Postby geekciro » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:32 pm

Update: It looks like the problem isn't just related to my own servers. I'm not getting protected emails from long-established trusted senders, either. That makes this a significantly bigger issue than I'd thought.
geekciro

Postby akinet » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:24 am

Same problem here.

There's a problem with reverse dns lookup and it´s not possible to reply any spamgourmet message.
I am using original spamgourmet domains (spamgourmet.com, neverbox.com, ..) But the problem is with 0sg.net that is the same for everyone.
akinet

Postby hausgeist » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:17 pm

Same problem, main eMail forwards e.g. for 2FA, OTP or passwords resets are not working right now.... any idea?
hausgeist

Postby geekciro » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:48 pm

At least I know it's not just me now. SysKoll and I beat our heads against it for hours last night. It looks like it might be a bigger problem than it seemed at first glance...
geekciro

Postby akinet » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:36 pm

Two years ago there was a similar situation: neverbox.com domain is rejecting emails

It was solved without any answer on the forum.

In that moment the problem was only for neverbox.com, but now I have tested with neverbox.com and spamgourmet.com with same results.
Can someone from the technical staff tell us something about it?
Regards.
akinet

Postby dciuk » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:39 pm

I have received less than 50% of the volume of emails I would receive on a typical weekday and are certainly missing some that I would expect to receive daily. Most of my email addresses use the dfgh.net domain and forward to gmail
dciuk

Postby milkbadger » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:00 pm

I just tried sending messages from gmail and fastmail, and both were rejected by spamgourmet.com server with similar errors. Here is the fastmail bounce message:
host gourmet7.spamgourmet.com[216.75.62.102] said: 550-X-Host-Lookup-Failed:
Reverse DNS lookup does not match for 66.111.4.229 550 (deferred) (in reply
to MAIL FROM command)

This looks like a global outage.
milkbadger

Postby hausgeist » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:19 pm

A disaster. How can we help? e.g. extra funding? Just let us know what would be needed.
hausgeist

Postby bobp » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:13 am

I'm seeing the same thing: 550 X-Host-Lookup-Failed. Is there anyone at the wheel or is this service running on autopilot?
bobp

Postby bobp » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:32 am

Wonderful. You can't even send them an email.

--------------------------------------------------------------
** Address not found **

Your message wasn't delivered to postmaster@spamgourmet.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

The response from the remote server was:
550 X-Host-Lookup-Failed: Reverse DNS lookup does not match for 209.85.216.42 (deferred)
--------------------------------------------------------------
bobp

Postby benalt613 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:09 am

About an hour ago (1/17/2023 10 PM EST), I was having problems and read about people having issues here. As I was logging in to my main accounts at companies with spamgourmet email addresses to change them, I received a confirmation via one of the spamgourmet emails. I then tested and received an email and tried creating a new one and also received the email when it bounced before. I hope others are also receiving emails again. Before that, I tried changing my forwarding email to see if that would help and it didn't seem to.
benalt613

Postby LindaB » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:24 am

benalt613 wrote:About an hour ago (1/17/2023 10 PM EST), I was having problems and read about people having issues here. As I was logging in to my main accounts at companies with spamgourmet email addresses to change them, I received a confirmation via one of the spamgourmet emails. I then tested and received an email and tried creating a new one and also received the email when it bounced before. I hope others are also receiving emails again. Before that, I tried changing my forwarding email to see if that would help and it didn't seem to.

Thanks for letting us know. I just checked with one of my SG email addresses and it worked. Yay!
LindaB

Postby lwc » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:22 am

Confirmed too, thanks! But what about all the old messages? Are they gone for good?
lwc

Postby geekciro » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:05 pm

lwc wrote:Confirmed too, thanks! But what about all the old messages? Are they gone for good?

If you were getting the same "550 X-Host-Lookup-Failed" problem, then it depends on the sending server, but probably. I imagine most mail servers out there aren't configured to retry messages after a permanent (5xx) error.
geekciro

Next

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...