Handling Cc: replies to mailing list?

Use this forum to get help.

Handling Cc: replies to mailing list?

Postby johnny1000 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:08 pm

Hello,

how can Cc: replies to mailing lists be forwarded without decreasing the spamgourmet count?

Exclusive sender checks only From: and To:
(If I understand correctly.)

So when someone replies on a mailing list like this:

Code: Select all
To:   bob@bar.net
Cc:   list@maillist.org

...how can a subscribed spamgourmet address be set up to forward that, without decreasing the spamgourmet count?

Please note that this needs to work on mailing lists where some subscribers reply To: the mailing list, and other subscribers reply Cc: the mailing list.

Best regards :)
Johnny :)
johnny1000

Re: Handling Cc: replies to mailing list?

Postby michaeldlr » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:54 pm

The only way I can think of is setting the exclusive sender to something that will match everyone on the list - in other words a single full stop ("."). In this case message counting will be disabled for that particular address.

To improve this we'd have to expand the idea of a sender to include the mailing list but I seem to remember there are lots of different potential headers that have to be scanned to do that, different for each kind of mailing list software.
michaeldlr

Re: Handling Cc: replies to mailing list?

Postby johnny1000 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:25 am

Greetings,

I propose that the problem would be solved simply by the SG code adding the Cc: field to the fields that the exclusive sender regex matches against.
If I understand correctly, currently the SG code matches only against the two fields From: and To:
Is there any technical reason not to match against the Cc: field?

SG does not have to match against all sorts of weird mail header fields.
In my experience people use practically only From:, To:, and Cc: when they compose their mailing list answers.
The point is that Cc: is being used quite often.

With regards to the single dot (".") proposal; I do not consider myself a PCRE ninja, but would a single dot not just match a single character?
If you mean ".*", I have read that that is computationally heavy, and therefore should not be used.

Finally, I seem to not be the only one missing Cc: support in the exclusive sender regex:
https://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1301
That use case is slightly different from mine though, as my use case has a non-SG address in the To: field, whereas the other use case has an SG address in the To: field.
However, it seems to me that both use cases would be acommodated simply by SG supporting the Cc: field in the exclusive sender regex.

Best regards :)
Johnny :)
johnny1000

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...