List of SG-blocking websites

Use this forum to get help.

List of SG-blocking websites

Postby facetto » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:07 am

Dear SG-users, as known more and more websites are blocking spamgourmet adresses and some don´t even tell you upon registration for their service. The first aspect is annoying but if they alert you during registration that you´ll have to enter another email-adress you at least can react. I now had cases in which I registered for a website e.g. for ordering something but never received any email confirmation. The ordering process however was ongoing. For small cheap stuff I didnt care, however for a 1200 € laptop I was getting nervous. Asking the seller to change your email adress will probably make them suspect you for potentially hijacking somebody elses account... On other websites maybe you will not even be able to change your email adress without being able to receive any confirmation email of them (example here: https://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1888&sid=2b33a45eba7011a01d6a6206ec6e80c2).

tl;dr: What do you think about starting a list of websites blocking spamgourmet: That would give all of us the chance to briefly check the list before using a spamgourmet adress for critical registrations. using the browser´s search function would make searching the list a thing of seconds.

My start:

patreon.com
instagram.com
telekom.de
frame.work

Thanks for your support, pls. copy the existing entries to your post so that the list items are staying together.

BR, Christoph
facetto

Re: List of SG-blocking websites

Postby jmuscara » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:42 pm

IIRC gigsalad.com didn't accept the SG domains I knew at the time.

Should we include sites that don't accept the commonly known domains, but might accept those others we sometimes mention here? If so, here are some I have encountered. Note that they do send emails, they just didn't accept the domains when registering

Twitch
Glean
GalleryFurniture.com (If you live near Houston, you know.)
Sling
jmuscara

Postby r2d2 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:32 am

I'm able to use one of the SG domains for instagram
r2d2

Postby facetto » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:08 am

Hi r2d2, thats interesting, it means some websites are just blacklisting certain SG-domains while others as far as I understood do not look at the domain but more block according to the server which is handling the email-masking (somebody here explained this much better than I can do). Makes things more difficult as on the one hand probably we shouldnt mention which SG-domains still work with certain services and on the other hand nobody knows how if or when such domain might get blocked as well...

BR, facetto
facetto

Postby michaeldlr » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:50 am

This is definitely annoying - my thinking at present

• make it much more clear that spamgourmet is about allowing long term and real communication, not temporary addresses for spamming
  • more encouragement for the customers of services which use ban lists to complain
  • move some domains to separate ingress locations
  • reduce visibility of lists of domains

The complaints thing is a key. If you pay for a service and they use a ban list you should definitely complain. If you leave such a service, tell them that this was important to you. Push for alternative services.

Separating domains onto different servers is a definite goal, but it's an effort so we need to know it's going to be sustainable and worthwhile. To get there we probably need some money to hire VMs in different locations.
michaeldlr

Postby lwc » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:26 pm

michaeldlr wrote:
  • make it much more clear that spamgourmet is about allowing long term and real communication, not temporary addresses for spamming

For that you you might want to allow other ways and not just regular expressions to set multiple exclusive senders (including the infamous nothing but a dot).
lwc

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...