recent troubles?

Use this forum to get help.

recent troubles?

Postby kolobok » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:42 am

Hello everyone!

Did anybody notice any troubles with spamgourmet recently? I haven't received several forwards for the last 12 hours. Most recent message in a list of "last 3 eaten message" is by 2022-08-19. My attempt to send test/check e-mail ends in nothing (it is not forwarded and the test e-mail address is not shown in search).

P.S. The destination mailbox works ok (accepts messages from several senders).
kolobok

Re: recent troubles?

Postby lwc » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:11 am

I confirm too, I hope those messages are just delayed and not lost...

In fact, when I enter LinkedIn it even states We’re unable to reach you, Email not reachable:
Attachments
unable.png
unable.png (13.51 KiB) Viewed 11433 times
lwc

Postby michaeldlr » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:34 pm

I've had some problems with incoming email. There might be several different cases but one of them had the following message returned to the sender.

Your message hasn't been delivered yet

The message you sent to word.user@somesgdomain.tld hasn't been delivered yet due to: Recipient server unavailable or busy.

We'll let you know if we can't deliver it successfully.

Further Information

Too many concurrent SMTP connections from this IP address; please try again later.

They were using mimecast and the email did eventually get through, though by that time we'd already used a different route.
michaeldlr

Postby jgonggrijp » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:09 pm

I received an email from LinkedIn the day before yesterday. Also, no problem shown in my profile settings.

@lwc Maybe LinkedIn is quick to mark an email as unreachable, and it just happened to attempt to email you at a time when delivery was not timely?

Regardless, I agree that delivery should always be timely. However, my experience is that when it isn't, it usually still arrives eventually.
jgonggrijp

Postby lwc » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:00 pm

jgonggrijp wrote:@lwc Maybe LinkedIn is quick to mark an email as unreachable, and it just happened to attempt to email you at a time when delivery was not timely?

LinkedIn or not, my last message in general arrived in 24th, nothing arrived since. Now it's 27th...that's days without messages (and no spam messages, I've checked), what do we do?

I'm actually locked out of places like GitHub that sometimes send authentication code via email in order to log in!
lwc

Postby jgonggrijp » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:56 pm

Sorry, yes that sounds like serious trouble. Seems to be specific to your account, since I was notified of your response by email. If you don't mind, send me your spamgourmet username in a PM and I'll ask Josiah to take a look.
jgonggrijp

Postby lwc » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:56 pm

jgonggrijp wrote:If you don't mind, send me your spamgourmet username in a PM and I'll ask Josiah to take a look.

Sure, mail sent, crossing my fingers, thanks!

I assume the OP needs an individual checkup too, but only they know their own username.
lwc

Postby jgonggrijp » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:34 pm

kolobok is certainly also welcome to send me their spamgourmet username!
jgonggrijp

Postby hans.p » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:01 am

"Three!" I have the very same problem.
hans.p

Postby michaeldlr » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:53 am

I've just done a test and "it works for me". Based on that I'd guess that there's a delivery problem with some specific providers? Either deliberate blocking or a configuration change on the side of those providers. That means:

a) please do contact your providers, tell them about the problem and ask for support.
b) please PM jgonggrijp both your username (which we'll forward to admins) and name of mail provider (which will tell us if it's one or multiple providers since neither he nor I currently have database access).
c) more reports about this are useful so we identify any more providers which are a problem.
d) reports of success, if you are willing to publish your provider, are also useful

I have forwarded awareness of the issue to the admins and we'll follow up at some reasonable US daytime time to make sure they actually get the message.
michaeldlr

Postby lwc » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:59 pm

Major update!!!!!

I had someone sent me a message to xoxy.net and it worked instantly! And at the same time they sent to my usual neverbox.com and it didn't show up!
That is, they used the same address otherwise, like x@neverbox.com and x@xoxy.net, 2 different messages but only 1 got in! I tried more times and got the same results.
The counter of x@neverbox.com wasn't even modified inside the system.

Can you please check the neverbox.com alias domain ASAP?
Update: It expired last week!!! Here it is in its own domain registar's listing: https://www.namecheap.com/domains/whois ... verbox.com
Does it mean I lost (and am losing) every single mail until it's resolved?
I've checked all other known domains and please be prepared in advance and/or brace yourselves:
  1. wronghead.com and xoxy.net will expire this week (Update: both were fixed after this post).
  2. spamcannon.net, spamgourmet.net and spamgourmet.org will expire next month
  3. antichef.com, antichef.net and dfgh.net will expire in 2 months
kolobok and hans, which domain do you use for your addresses?
Last edited by lwc on Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
lwc

Postby jgonggrijp » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:08 pm

Thank you for these very useful tests, lwc. By identifying the source of the problem, you made it much easier to fix it. Fortunately, neverbox was still in a grace period and Josiah was able to renew it directly after I passed on your message. All addresses with neverbox.com should work again. Emails that were not delivered in the meanwhile might have been lost forever, if the first attempt was more than 48 hours ago.

A nice side effect of this mishap is that Josiah, in his umpteenth attempt to enable automatic domain renewal, discovered yet another checkbox that might be required to actually enable it. Hopefully, the problem is now less likely to occur in the future.
jgonggrijp

Postby josiah » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:10 pm

Hey Lwc,

I am terribly sorry about letting that lapse. I was pretty close to contacting namecheap support to help me work out auto renew before finding a hidden "make this card used for auto-renew" in two(!) places. This follows having manually renewed domains for the last year or so. neverbox.com is back to being active. Fortunately namecheap had it in grace period, so we didn't lose the domain. I need to see if any more innocuous domains are on the chopping block soon to make sure it goes through next time.

Josiah
josiah

Postby hans.p » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:30 pm

Thank you so much for solving this problem!
hans.p

Postby lwc » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:29 am

jgonggrijp wrote:Emails that were not delivered in the meanwhile might have been lost forever, if the first attempt was more than 48 hours ago.

Regarding old messages, so far only got the messages from my last post. Thanks for the help!

josiah wrote:I am terribly sorry about letting that lapse...I need to see if any more innocuous domains are on the chopping block soon to make sure it goes through next time.

Thanks for fixing it and paying for the renewal!! I suggest give your domain registar a valid contact address to get timely alerts.
My last post states which domains are about to expire. I see you've fixed those that were about to expire this week (thanks!), but there still are those that will expire in 1-2 months.

BTW, COM domains will cost more starting September 1, 2022 in case you want to renew them now for multiple years and save some money.
I suggest namesilo over nameeasy as I think it's easier, cheaper (for renewals) and more transparent to deal with them. If you're interested, I might be able to arrange a little discount.
lwc

Next

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...