Address isn't created, weird behavior

Use this forum to get help.

Address isn't created, weird behavior

Postby benalt613 » Sat May 08, 2021 3:20 am

Hello,

I tried creating a disposable email instamed.domain.xxxxx@xoxy.net, but it doesn't get created. I click on the "send a message from one of your spamgourmet addresses" link and type in instamed, domain, xoxy.net and press the go button and everything looks like it has been created but when I click on the link on the page where it says "that will be from your spamgourmet address instamed.domain.xxxxx@xoxy.net " it brings me to a different address that was created in 2014 (first on the list alphabetically). When I send to the address using different domains, I receive the email. E.g. "hello (instamed exclusive: yahoo.com)" or "hello (instamed exclusive: gmail.com)" - it ignores the domain and considers it exclusive either way. Also the address doesn't appear in my list of created addresses and doesn't appear in searches even with "show hidden addresses" selected. Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks,
Ben
benalt613

Re: Address isn't created, weird behavior

Postby doge » Sat May 08, 2021 7:58 am

Hi, I'm having the same issue, when I create new addresses the emails get forwarded but the new addresses don't appear in the list of addresses and don't even get counted.
This worked 2 days ago and one address was in fact counted but now it's not working anymore.
I'm really new to this service so am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-05-08 spamgourmet.png
Screenshot_2021-05-08 spamgourmet.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 15343 times
doge

Postby Diagon » Sat May 08, 2021 8:50 am

Josiah was doing an update and there's been at least one other report of problems.
Diagon

Postby sitary » Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 am

Something similar happening here. An account that I created on May 6 doesn't show up in my addresses list. However the emails do arrive to my protected address. Note that they are not incrementing.
Attachments
2021-05-09 SG.png
2021-05-09 SG.png (48 KiB) Viewed 15084 times
Simon J Ferguson
sitary

Postby brs5tettba » Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 pm

Same thing happening to me. Newly created address is receiving mail, but not available in search. I use advanced mode. Also searched for hidden addresses to no avail.
brs5tettba

Postby mrspaghetti » Fri May 14, 2021 2:42 pm

Same here. It looks like the recent update has broken something.
mrspaghetti

Postby kylling » Mon May 17, 2021 1:53 pm

I have the same problem affecting all addresses that I created after May 8th 2021 (I have not created addresses between April 26 and May 8th):
they do not show up in search (advanced mode) and more importantly, the number of remaining emails does not decrease (meaning that every email to an address I created after May 8 will be number 1 of xx). Which means they cannot be turned off.

(I think there might be a connection, if a newly created address is not saved to the SG database it does not exist there and so every email will be number 1...)

I would like to offer some help but unfortunately I am not familiar with these things. I could, of course offer more infos and details if needed.
kylling

Postby CanUser » Tue May 18, 2021 4:20 pm

Ditto. This is happening to me for one of my newly created addresses. I get mail at the address, but the counter isn't incrementing and it doesn't show up in my list of addresses that I've created.
CanUser

Postby r2d2 » Wed May 19, 2021 4:44 pm

Same confirmed behavior for me
r2d2

Postby VanguardLH » Thu May 20, 2021 6:15 pm

Same effect happened here in my SG account. I doled out an SG alias to Menards. They spammed it (a month later) despite configuring not to have them send me anything other than alerts for deliveries (to store for me to pickup). I wanted to kill the alias (since they cannot be deleted) by setting the remaining count to zero. However, I cannot find the alias when I search on it, even with "Show hidden addresses" selected (in case I had previously marked it hidden, but forgot to set the remaining count to zero). As others have noted, this is a new defect encountered since the software update. If the update was incremental, the code delta that made the change is likely minimal (i.e., not a full-blown major version change), and finding the miscreant code change should be easy. This defect was reported 12 days ago while the update was performed 15 days ago (notice was posted here on May 5). Hopefully it gets addressed soon. Be interesting to know just what features or behaviors were changed by the update.

The point of using SG aliases is they can be killed/nullified. If that feature is gone (deliberately or accidentally without a fix), I would have to define server-side filters to kill off specific SG aliases coming to my true e-mail account, and that means too many filters, and which would have to get defined retroactively as e-mails came through SG aliases I could no longer manage. If this defect is not fixed soon, I would have to abandon use of Spamgourmet. While I can, for example, specify a required prefix to kill any further aliases, adding a prefix does not affect previously used aliases. That means without a means to manage the aliases in my SG account that I have no means of disabling them, and I would have to define a global filter in my true e-mail account that rejects all e-mails where any SG alias was used, including the SG aliases that I still want active. Management at the SG site of alias is crucial to its viability.

While Josiah posted notice of his update back on May 5, I've not seen him yet respond to subsequent defect reports. If the bug is not repairable within the near future (a week or two), Josiah should back out the code change and revert to the prior version of the software. Whatever new features or behaviors the new code added are definitely nowhere near as important as the listing of used aliases and allowing management of them.

Does anyone here have direct contact with Josiah to ensure he actually knows there is a problem, or do we PM him? Might someone have already PM'ed him? Also, although Josiah reported the software update, does he actually code the software (is he a developer), or did he get the code delta from someone else?
VanguardLH

Postby Diagon » Sat May 22, 2021 7:05 am

I already PM'd him, but I have no other means of contact. Perhaps someone else here does.
Diagon

Postby kortan » Tue May 25, 2021 6:20 pm

Has someone figured out a solution or heard from Josh what to do?
kortan

Postby gilch » Sat May 29, 2021 5:34 am

Same problem here. As a workaround, I discovered that I could "create" an existing glitched email address using "the send a message from one of your spamgourmet addresses" link, and then it shows up in the search, so you should at least be able to turn them off that way.

In the meantime, I'm using erine.email instead for new addresses. Someone had mentioned it on this board a while back.
gilch

Postby lwc » Sat May 29, 2021 6:27 am

gilch wrote:As a workaround, I discovered that I could "create" an existing glitched email address using "the send a message from one of your spamgourmet addresses" link, and then it shows up in the search, so you should at least be able to turn them off that way.

Nice discovery! You just bought the service some more time.

In the meantime, I'm using erine.email instead for new addresses. Someone had mentioned it on this board a while back.

It's so frustrating that Spamgourmet could have been closed source just the same. Its code just lies there and no one wants to use it.
erine is cool, but there some downsides.
lwc

Postby Elmira22 » Sat May 29, 2021 7:24 pm

I've noticed in the last week or so that a new address created keeps coming in as 1 of 10. I see I'm not alone in this. I'm not very tech savvy but have been using (and loving) Spamgourmet for probably 20 years if it's been around that long. I hope this can be fixed and appreciate everyone who works on keeping Spamgourmet alive! If there's a reply, is there any chance it can also be posted to Twitter? Thx
Elmira22

Next

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...