Donation Link - Paypal

Use this forum to get help.

Donation Link - Paypal

Postby Bend » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:33 pm

Hello. In previous posts it sounded like you didn't have access to the Paypal account linked to on the home page. Has this been resolved? I'm long overdue to donate for this amazing service. Thank you.
Bend

Re: Donation Link - Paypal

Postby JM-L » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Very important question!
JM-L

Postby noOneInParticular » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:29 pm

Paypal is a terrible service (see https://dev.lemmy.ml/post/30880). They share your data with 600 companies. If you're in the US just send him a check and stop payment processors and credit cards from taking a cut.

If you're outside the US, cryptocurrency is really the best option at this time. But SG has to set it up and publish an crypto address.

(update)

I looked through the ToS and and other docs and see no physical or mailing address. But we know Josiah is in Houston, TX:

https://www.spamgourmet.com/index.pl?printpage=team.html

So you could send a check made out to "Cash" or "Josiah Hamilton" and send it to Houston general delivery, addressed like this:

Code: Select all
Josiah Hamilton
Spamgourmet
General Delivery
Houston, TX 77052-9999

You would then have to tell Josiah that a check is waiting for him at that post office. He would have ~30 days to show ID at that post office and pick it up.

I also noticed many volunteers are in Europe. Perhaps one of them could post their IBAN for EU donors and work out a way to proxy the contribution to Josiah.
noOneInParticular

Postby josiah » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:13 am

Hey everybody,

I don't have any excuse for taking this long to reply, and I intend to be better about it.

Firstly, any disruptions of service were not due to lack of funding but due to my not having an auto renewal on file. This has been resolved.

I have been using my dad's paypal still starting around middle of last year, prior to that I was paying for the service. We have had a glut of donations from you users toward that account that has more than covered the back half of the year, and in the first quarter of this year I would like to load the balance in advance between our hosting provider and the registrar based on the previous year's expenses.

Expenses should go down a little as well as I let the certificates on forwarding domains expire and intend to move them toward let's encrypt, though spamgourmet and bbs will most likely remain on this CA.

I am not sure how to answer any questions about alternative donation media, because the solution has been working strictly from a funding standpoint, even if I have not given you much feedback prior to this.
If you feel it is very important that you donate, and do not want it to do it through paypal, I apologize for having deprived you of that opportunity. Seeking more donations has not been very high priority for me (though my wife wants me to).
josiah

Postby josiah » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:17 am

noOneInParticular wrote:So you could send a check made out to "Cash" or "Josiah Hamilton" and send it to Houston general delivery, addressed like this:

Code: Select all
Josiah Hamilton
Spamgourmet
General Delivery
Houston, TX 77052-9999

You would then have to tell Josiah that a check is waiting for him at that post office. He would have ~30 days to show ID at that post office and pick it up.

I also noticed many volunteers are in Europe. Perhaps one of them could post their IBAN for EU donors and work out a way to proxy the contribution to Josiah.

I do not recommend this and will need to update the registrar information. That was my father's old place of work
josiah

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...