Gmail recipients don't get any of my emails anymore

Use this forum to get help.

Gmail recipients don't get any of my emails anymore

Postby sba923 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:49 am

Hi,

I'm a long-time Spamgourmet user.

I don't use Gmail, but some of the people I write to do.

Until recently, some Gmail mechanism was causing most of my emails sent to my "Gmail-based correspondents" to not get my messages because they were automatically moved to the "spam" folder (or whatever it's called in Gmail).

More recently, some change was made in Gmail that results in ALL my messages to these Gmail-based recipients to be *silently deleted* (so the recipients tell me).

I've performed some tests, that revealed that this is the case if I use my primary "nospam4sba" Spamgourmet account.

If I use another "nsfs" Spamgourmet account I have created for testing purposes, then the messages are NOT deleted by Gmail.

My guess (with my software engineering professional hat on) is that Gmail has recently decided that it's not allowed to receive email from a sender whose email address contains the string "spam."

I've asked for help on the Gmail support forum, and I got the following response:

Have you checked with Spamgourmet, to find out if the messages were rejected or accepted by the Gmail SMTP servers? Google have always claimed that any messages accepted by their servers get delivered to the user's account. (They may be classified as spam, but Gmail does not have any "black holes" or silent deletion mechanisms.)

If you can verify that the message was accepted, but you cannot find it in the Gmail account, then get the Message-ID so that Google can check it out.

(You can test your "spam" name theory by sending mail directly to a Gmail account.)

Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance for your help.
sba923

Re: Gmail recipients don't get any of my emails anymore

Postby josh » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:03 pm

tough one -- I didn't see anything helpful in the system logs.

I sent a message to my own gmail account using a new sg address for my account that contained the word 'spam' in the "Word" part of the address, and also used spamgourmet.com as the domain name at the end. It definitely went to the spam folder (which I honestly didn't think was going to happen), but there were no errors expressed in the logs for it.
josh

Postby sba923 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:58 am

I've bitten the bullet and created a Gmail account for testing purposes.

With a nospam4sba@xoxy.net address, emails go to the spam folder (and are not just deleted, so I have to contact my friend again who did the testing for me and claimed that the messages just got lost).

With a nsfs@xoxy.net address, emails go to the inbox.

Where do we go from here?
sba923

Postby sba923 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 am

(Josh, I know supporting SG users is probably not on the top of your list these days... I read about the bad news, and want to send you all my hopes that you will get better.)

At https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/UJRMfjXtaJE;context-place=forum/gmail the Gmail support guys want to hear from what happens on the SG side of the equation.

What can I do to help troubleshoot the situation where some Gmail recipients don't get anything at all?

What can the recipients that do get my emails, but in Gmail's Spam folder, do about it?
sba923

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...