Disposable Address Not Accepted By Some Websites

Use this forum to get help.

Disposable Address Not Accepted By Some Websites

Postby jj65 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:30 pm

I've been using SG for awhile now, and I really like it. But I've found that some websites just won't take a disposable address. The most recent site is cumberlandtax.rba.com, a site for taxpayers to file/pay their taxes online in Cumberland County Pennsylvania. This site took the address, as did a couple other sites I've had trouble with in the past. But it just never sent me an email, even though their site tells me it did. When I log into SG, no disposable address was created. So it's not a matter of it being forwarded and I'm just not finding it. It's not being sent. Another site awhile back, I forget the domain, would not even let me input a disposable address. It was not due to there being a period.between the SG email and my Spam Gourmet login email. I know that because the address it did accept was a gmail.com address where my username is two words separated by a period. I've tried multiple SG domains too, so it's not just one of them that's being rejected. Although, 9ox.net is my fave because it's nice and short.

I'm finding this a little frustrating. I do have a email.formyjunk@gmail (that's not the actual one, so don't try and contact me there) address for use in such instances. But I would rather stop using that altogether and use SG exclusively if I can figure out the problem.

Anybody know what causes some sites to reject, or not send to SG disposable addresses.

Thanks.
~JackFlash
jj65

Re: Disposable Address Not Accepted By Some Websites

Postby josh » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 pm

some sites don't like disposable email addresses. There are lists of domains maintained by certain people that the sites use in order to reject them.

I don't understand the material difference between a spamgourmet address and and a gmail or yahoo address, except that the spamgourmet address is a little easier to create.

Anyway, there you go. If it really bugs you, you can complain to the site owner.

In the case where the address is accepted but you never get a message, it could be something else. It may be that the mail server of the service is misconfigured in that it doesn't have a matching forward and reverse DNS lookup. At spamgourmet we have to reject connections from those servers because we're continually slammed by botnets which consist mainly of individual's virus infected computers which don't have proper forward/reverse lookups. Many larger sites will accept email from these misconfigured servers because they have the computing resources to deal with the oceans of bot connections that come with them - we don't.
josh

Postby Josh Parris » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:22 pm

josh wrote:some sites don't like disposable email addresses. There are lists of domains maintained by certain people that the sites use in order to reject them.

So, if I bought a domain, forwarded the MX record to spamgourmet's MX record.... would that be enough? It wouldn't be on the lists of domains maintained by certain people. Would I be able to use the SG servers then, or do you need to be told about new domain names so you can configure them? If you do need to be told, will you keep it secret or tell everyone they can now use the domain name I just gave you?
Josh Parris

Postby lwc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:10 pm

It seems you didn't read the FAQ first.
It instructs:
  1. To use virtusertable.
  2. That you indeed have to tell them.
About being a secret or not, I think it's up to you. It's your domain so just tell them what do you prefer.
lwc

Postby josh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:39 pm

You do have to tell us about it so we can configure. That didn't used to be true but we had to change the way it worked at some point

We don't tell anyone about the domain unless you want us to, and we would try to talk you out of it.
josh

Postby lwc » Wed May 03, 2017 5:22 pm

josh wrote:I don't understand the material difference between a spamgourmet address and and a gmail or yahoo address, except that the spamgourmet address is a little easier to create.

Here's one webhost which explains that Spamgourmet is not as reputable as them...
https://www.000webhost.com/free-website-sign-up wrote:Please use an email address from a reputable email provider (like GMail or Yahoo).
lwc

Postby jj65 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:07 pm

I've since discovered that some sites use a verification application to determine if your email is a disposable address. These applications proclaim to eliminate spam, but I think the sole purpose is to thwart things like spamgourmet so you have to give up an actual email address, like a gmail or yahoo address. So... I guess, like it or not, I'm stuck using my junk gmail address.
jj65

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...