SG blocking my ISP? [SOLVED]

Use this forum to get help.

SG blocking my ISP? [SOLVED]

Postby Lancer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:49 am

I've set up an SG address for a friend (to email me that is), and it works fine. When my friend emails me from gmail, it gets through just fine.

However, if I try to send an email to that same SG email address, it bounces. It comes back to me with a refusal-to-send email:

Code: Select all
The original message was received at Thu, 8 Jan 2015 15:25:00 +1300
from 121-73-136-230.cable.telstraclear.net [121.73.136.230]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<XXXXX.XX.XXX@xoxy.net>   [Note: censored because this is the secret SG email]
    (reason: 550 X-Host-Lookup-Failed: Reverse DNS lookup failed for 219.88.242.52 (failed))

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to gourmet7.spamgourmet.com.:
>>> MAIL From:<XXXmyrealaddressXXX@orcon.net.nz> SIZE=1192 [note: censored because I don't want to make this address public, but it is an orcon email address]
<<< 550 X-Host-Lookup-Failed: Reverse DNS lookup failed for 219.88.242.52 (failed)
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

The address which is rejected 121.73.136.230 is my own ISP (the one sending the test email to my SG address). It works fin when my gmail friend sends a message - could it be that SG has blacklisted my ISP or is using some kind of DNS check that fails to verify my ISP is legitimate?

I have also contacted my ISP who are looking into the issue, although it's kind of difficult communicating to them given the extra complications of SG masking etc.
Last edited by Lancer on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lancer

Re: SG blocking my ISP?

Postby Lancer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:19 am

My ISP contacted me today. They said they'd sent an email to my SG address and "it worked".

I told them I never received their test email.
Lancer

Re: SG blocking my ISP?

Postby Lancer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:37 pm

Okay - I think I've got to the bottom of this one. Problem at my end.

At home we are using two separate ISPs (happens with multiple users, and email accounts going back since as far as the dark ages). Basically, I am using an email account from an old faithful internet provider, but my actual connection to the internet is with a newer household provider (wireless for everyone). To send email successfully, the outgoing SMTP server needed to be set up to the connected provider, not the one holding my actual email account.

Changed my SMTP outgoing email to the current connection and I can now send though to my own SG account without the "look up failure" return notice.

Maybe this might help someone.
Lancer

Re: SG blocking my ISP? [SOLVED]

Postby josh » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:53 am

the reverse lookup check is something we have to do because of the number of email addresses (millions) we host on our small system (really small) - the vast majority of the time, when reverse DNS is not set up correctly, the computer is spam bot. Occasionally, there's a legit mail server that has not been set up correctly with reverse DNS, and our server rejects it along with all the bots. Wish it didn't have to be that way, but we would need a huge bank of servers to deal with all the spambots if we were to remove that check. Anyway, sounds like your old ISP didn't set theirs up right, but your new ISP did.
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...