Way to have address active, no limit, accepting everyone ?

Use this forum to get help.

Way to have address active, no limit, accepting everyone ?

Postby rbarakX » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:01 am

Hi Guys,

I want to use spamgourmet as a mask to my regular e-mail, and put the spamgourmet address in my resume.

This means that people with various addresses will e-mail me using the spamgourmet address, and it might become cumbersome to keep coming back – time and again – to spamgourmet, to set the address’ maximum to 20.

Is there a way to have an address active, with no limit, accepting every sender’s address ?

(You might say: why not just give your real e-mail address ? Two reasons: first, if I start getting spam through the spamgourmet address, I could just change the address on my resume to a different spamgourmet address; and second, in case I change ISP, I could just change the spamgourmet configuration to point to the new e-mail address, without needing to change my resume).

So, again: Is there a way to have an address active, with no limit, accepting every sender’s address ?

Thanks,
Ron. :?:
rbarakX

Postby ebuleheb » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:47 pm

This question is being asked again and again. Please search the forum first.
ebuleheb

Ack! Don't do that!

Postby SysKoll » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:37 pm

rbarakX,

These discussions here should provide some insight. Please review them.
http://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
http://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?t=52

What you want to do defeats the very purpose of SG, so I urge you to exercise caution. Give different disposable addresses to different people and put your trusted correspondants in your trusted senders list.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:08 pm

Since spamgourmet "eats" over 90% of the messages that come through, and since it's at least twice as expensive to forward a message as it is to "eat" (ignore) it, you could say that an address that had no limit on it would, as a general matter, consume over 10 times the server resources that a normal address would. For this reason, we've designed things to keep addresses from begin permanent so ensure that we can keep providing the service.

That said, you can edit the address and put the address itself as the "exclusive sender" -- this will cause sg to forward any message that is "to:" the address indefinitely (not CC:, but maybe that's good). There's a new undocumented feature that lets you omit the number entirely (it will default to "3"), which might be nice to use if you were settting things up this way -- you could send a message to the address:
Code: Select all
resume2004.user@spamgourmet.com
or something, then log in and set it up as its own exclusive sender.

Of course, please do it sparingly, recognizing that doing so defeats the "dead man switch" that enables the service to continue to be free.
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...