I want to use the same keyword with a different SG domain

Use this forum to get help.

I want to use the same keyword with a different SG domain

Postby classic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:00 pm

I carelessly forgot to change the domain section of the new SG email address I created and thus ended up with "HelloWorld.myusername@spamgourmet.com" when I wanted to have "HelloWorld.myusername@neverbox.com". When I tried to create "HelloWorld.myusername@neverbox.com", the website says

"A disposable address for the word HelloWorld already exists. You may use it or create a new address with another word."

How can I now create HelloWorld.myusername@neverbox.com?
classic

Re: I want to use the same keyword with a different SG domai

Postby pblinks » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:08 am

To tell you the truth I had to check this. My memory told me it was as it finally did turn out to be, but I wasn't sure.

That address you want to create already "exists", in the sense that it can be used. All addresses are interpreted as belonging to the same domain. What is actually behind the @ when the address is first created is inconsecuential.

"HelloWorld.myusername@spamgourmet.com" will show in the "full address" field but all addresses that have "HelloWorld.myusername" before any of the SG domains will be interpreted as the same address by the SG software.
pblinks

Postby greatwolf » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:07 am

pblinks wrote:To tell you the truth I had to check this. My memory told me it was as it finally did turn out to be, but I wasn't sure.

That address you want to create already "exists", in the sense that it can be used. All addresses are interpreted as belonging to the same domain. What is actually behind the @ when the address is first created is inconsecuential.

"HelloWorld.myusername@spamgourmet.com" will show in the "full address" field but all addresses that have "HelloWorld.myusername" before any of the SG domains will be interpreted as the same address by the SG software.

I don't see how your post, while true, answers the OP's question in any meaningful way.

I want to do the same thing as the OP. I already have an existing keyword that's being used under `@spamgourmet.com`. Now I want to reuse this same keyword but under `@recursor.net` instead. Can this be done? If so how?
greatwolf

Postby josh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:22 pm

for incoming messages, after the address is created, the domain doesn't matter. So if you have an address HelloWorld.myusername@spamgourmet.com, you can happily provide HelloWorld.myusername@recursor.net to someone who wants to send you email and it will work.

However, if you have "Reply Address Masking" enabled, and you reply, the system will substitute your From: address with the disposable address, which it will pull from the database, an in your example that would be HelloWorld.myusername@spamgourmet.com -- is that what we're talking about?
josh

Postby greatwolf » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

josh wrote:However, if you have "Reply Address Masking" enabled, and you reply, the system will substitute your From: address with the disposable address, which it will pull from the database, an in your example that would be HelloWorld.myusername@spamgourmet.com -- is that what we're talking about?

Yes, there are actually two aspects to consider here: receiving incoming mail and sending outgoing mail. I guess the question doesn't really make those two distinctions explicit.

The receiving part isn't the issue. The problem I am specifically referring to is sending mail out at say HelloWorld.myusername@recusor.net when HelloWorld.myusername@spamgourment.com already exist in the db. Phrased differently, I want the recipient to see

Code: Select all

instead of:

Code: Select all

Currently I don't see how this is possible -- if you attempt to generate a mask email to send to, the system won't let you saying that keyword already exist.
greatwolf

Postby josh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:20 pm

It's not possible with the current website.

But I have done it for myself by going straight to the database to make edits, so I understand the need.

I have some test code ready, but I need beta testers - there's more to this than you might think of initially, especially when you involve the Prefix (which some users use). Anyway. Let me know with a PM if you want to beta test.
josh

Postby greatwolf » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm

The new address appearance feature seems to working well so far for me. My target recipient see the address with the desired domain. I haven't tested it with the numeric part yet though so can't say how well that works. All in all, not running into any problems so far.

Thanks for adding this! :)
greatwolf

Postby josh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks for testing!

It gets complicated when you're using a prefix, or you used to use a prefix and aren't any more, etc.

If you get a chance, try to break it, and or use it in a way that gives unintended results.

Above all, pretend you don't know anything about it, and you see the link on the page - what do you do?

Once I get all the necessary help text in place (if it's not there already), then the work of translating into 14 languages must begin :)

Also, try the delete link - but be aware that it actually deletes.
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...