Setting up my own Server (Private/Public)

Use this forum to get help.

Setting up my own Server (Private/Public)

Postby Dean » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:54 pm

SCOPE:
I would like to install and setup SpamGourmet on my Linux box for my own personal use and later for possibly public use.

HISTORY:
I'm running Redhat 9, soon to migrate to Fedora. I'm not the most expirienced Admin, I'm pretty novice to Linux. But, I am a Mainframe programmer and so not totally new. I have setup other RPM packages, webmin, spamassassin etc... I'm good at following HOWTO directions.

TOPIC:
Is there a HOWTO for setting up spamgourmet? I've been told I'd probably have to install a DBI for MySQL (RH9 doesn't have one). Is there any FAQ, HOWTO, Manual I can read to setup spamgourmet on my own server?

I've downloaded the source but have not yet tried the install. I'm just missing a few conceptual pieces. One piece I'm missing is the interface to sendmail. Is it through PostFix? Do I setup a blind forward for my domain and use PostFix to filter it through the script?

I'm sure these are stupid questions but I have to start somewhere. I will read the manual, I just haven't found one yet. Is there any help out there? Questions to info@spamgourmet and SourceForge have gone unanswered.

Thank you!
-[d]-

email: <<Sanitized by SysKoll>>
sfspamgourmet.20.dfox
in the domain xoxy.net
Dean

Postby josh » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:27 pm

Did you get the release? Or did you get the code from CVS? It's been about a year since we did a release :)

I think installation of our software on another server is probably our weakest point right now, except that it's hopefully gotten easier in the last year.

get the CVS code -- we can walk you through installing it here...
josh

I now have the CVS Code

Postby Dean » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:54 pm

Thanks josh,

I did have the release instead of the CVS code. To make things easier, I've downloaded the entire spamgourmet CVS tree. I should now have everything locally.

I've started the MySQL demon, but don't dave a DBI installed that I can tell. Assuming I need one?

I don't yet have Apache running, I figure that can wait until I have the scipts running.

To recap, I'm on RH9 running sendmail and Postfix. What's my next step; hot points to look out for...

I'll be looking through the scripts while I wait for a response. It looks like there's some domain information I need to add to the config etc... If I'm able to go public my domain is easy. xof.com. Somewhat close to xoxy.

Thanks again for helping me get started. I'll be writing this up as I go. Maybe I can put it into a format that others can use. Installation HOWTO for intermediate dummies?

-[d]-
Dean

Postby josh » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:06 pm

sure thing -- I know you'll need DBI and DBD::mysql, as well as CGI (if you don't have it), and Digest::MD5

the sendmail configuration is to forward all mail for the domain to a particular user (preferably one you create for the purpose) -- eg, in virtusertable:

Code: Select all
@xof.com     spamgourmet

(assuming the user was "spamgourmet") -- then in the user home directory, create a .forward file that forwards all mail the spameater script:

"|home/spamgourmet/spameater"

it may be that you can shortcut that by putting the pipe command directly in virtusertable:

@xof.com     "|/home/spamgourmet/spameater"

and dispense with the .forward file, but I haven't tried that.

you may have to put a symlink in the sendmail smrsh directory as root before sendmail will invoke it. One likely place for the smrsh directory is /usr/adm/sm.bin, so as root you'd

ln -s /home/spamgourmet/spameater /usr/adm/sm.bin/spameater

After this, sendmail and spameater should jive together.
josh

Postfix config

Postby sbonnell » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:16 am

Hi,

I am one year late but it might still interest someone :lol:.

I installed the CVS version on my linux box with Postfix.

First I configured with a virtual user and alias but I changed to use a specific transport.

in the master.cf add a line:
spameater unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe  flags=D user=nobody argv=/path/to/spamgourmet/conf/spameater-wrapper.sh

in the main.cf add lines:
spameater_transport = spameater
spameater_mailbox_domain = your.spam.domain

and last in the transport map add a line to tell that (not sure of the syntax I am using mysql maps) :
your.spam.domaine spameater:

a little
postfix check

and if ok a
postfix reload

For me it's working but it's a new config I made. Tell me if you have any trouble or question. Ther might be a better configuration but I am new to modify master.cf file in postfix !

You still need to configure everything in spam gourmet, but it's quite easy, just take a look at every files... :wink:.

Stephane
sbonnell

Postby eslayter » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:46 am

I'm trying to figure out if I have access to the necessary systems to host my own spamgourmet. I have access to webspace at pair networks which runs on FreeBSD. I can run cgi/perl/etc. Would anyone be willing to help walk me through this a little bit?

Thanks...and great service here...I'll do whatever I can do to help further this service, except I have no programming abilities, but perhaps I have some other skills that I can add...?

-Erik

spamgourmet
dot
eslayter
at
spamgourmet
dot
com
eslayter

Postby SysKoll » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:33 am

You really need a shell account. The sg setup is a quite a manual job.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:15 pm

I thought this thread was going to walk me through installing the CVS source, but it seems like it never got to that point.

So, I have a server where I have access to a MySQL database. I have the CVS source for spamgourmet. Can any kind soul give me the first few steps?

Postby josh » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:51 pm

Probably you could get the mail handler part working first.

Put the modules in a subdirectory called 'modules' off your home directory (eg /home/myusername/modules/Mail/Spamgourmet/*)

Put the spameater script in another subdirectory (we use one called smrsh, eg /home/myusername/smrsh). Make sure it has executable perms.

Put the spamgourmet.config file in your root home directory -- modify it as needed -- hopefully it'll be pretty straightforward.

Modify spameater to correctly point to the modules directory and spamgourmet.config

Add (or edit) a file call .foward in your home directory to pipe incoming mail to the spameater script:

"|/home/myusername/smrsh/spameater"

(that would be the only line).

Assuming all the mail for the concerned domain is coming to your unix account, that should be enough to get the mail script running. If not (and you have permission and you're using sendmail), change the virtusertable (eg, /etc/mail/virtusertable) file to redirect the mail:

@mydomain.com myusername

then rebuild the map that sendmail uses to read the virtusertable data.
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...