Server down (9/2/11)??

Use this forum to get help.

Server down (9/2/11)??

Postby feelgood13 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:41 pm

I haven't received any sg emails today. Also spamgourmet.com is not loading.
feelgood13

Re: Server down (9/2/11)??

Postby dogfish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:32 pm

feelgood13 wrote:I haven't received any sg emails today. Also spamgourmet.com is not loading.

Same issues here. Last e-mail received was around Friday September 2nd, 12:30 AM EST and I cannot access spamgourmet.com. Hope this is nothing major and gets resolved soon.

Have a great Labor Day weekend all :D
dogfish

Postby pblinks » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 pm

Any official word on the matter? Please...? :cry:

:P

I don't actually get too much mail through sg, but I would like to know what is going on with the main site.
pblinks

Postby soma » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:05 am

Same. My emails stopped and the web site is down. This is bad. I only hope that when things are restored that the emails aren't lost.
soma

Postby feelgood13 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:55 am

I PM'ed both SysKoll and Josh but haven't heard back yet.
feelgood13

Postby loki9797979797 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:03 am

Same here: spamgourmet.com is not responding, no mails forwarded. Hope thats nothing major, gtz.
loki9797979797

Seems to be still down 2011-09-03

Postby gourmet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:53 pm

It seem to be down yesterday already? At least main page and mail forwarding doesn't seem to be working at all.

Confirmed with two independent services:
1) It's not just you! http://spamgourmet.com looks down from here.
2) spamgourmet is down!

It was years ago, but back then SG had some very long down time. Let's say several weeks. I got very upset, because I lost all of my email pals. Let's hope that this situation won't get so ugly. Because I just something like three monts ago migrated back from http://trashmail.net/ to SG, because TrashMail doesn't provide required free services anymore. But otherwise when I paid for TrashMail, it was super fast and very reliable. There were only a few short downtimes. Trashmail got backup MX, but it's not fully functional, it's only mail queue service. So mails won't be forwarded, but at least email isn't getting LOST as it can easily happen if you don't have backup MX server.

I also found out lately that Yahoo is offering disposable emails. Which is very handy, if you want to get bit more reliable service:
http://help.yahoo.com/tutorials/cg/mail ... uard1.html
gourmet

Postby soma » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Yes, this is pretty much the end of the road with me and spamgourmet. I'm somehow going to have to find a way to transition my hundreds of disposable addresses to another service. Perhaps that's the flaw of this whole approach to spam: a single-point-of-failure that it a mess to unravel when it fails.

Downtime I get. Non-responsiveness tells me that this service is effectively dead and has only been limping along.
soma

Postby feelgood13 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Yea! SG site is back up and I have some sg emails trickling in. Does anyone know the default resend time limit for mail servers are? I think it's 5 days on Exchange. Correct me if I'm wrong.
feelgood13

Postby ozmodiar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm also getting emails in; and see the site is up.

I don't know of any other disposable email service that has all the features spamgourmet does. I hope it stays around.
ozmodiar

Postby gaverbbs2 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:52 pm

I found this board when I was searching for possibly what went wrong. Of course, I couldn't register because the only e-mail address it allows is SG, and of course, then I couldn't activate! :)

I went around this morning changing all my e-mails on important stuff to go back to my real e-mail. I'm sure I lost a ton, but it looks like the counts weren't kept updated, either, so I can't tell how many.

Like someone said, if within 5 days, the sender tries again before determining it is spam, I might be OK.

I really like the way SG works, I hope it continues to be as stable as I've seen the last several months. Otherwise, I might have to find another solution to fight spam.

As it is, I'm routing my years old e-mail to an younger e-mail, because the old e-mail started getting so much spam. With SG, it's nice to be able to divide up senders.
gaverbbs2

Postby pblinks » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:20 pm

I would never, under any circumstance, lash out at the people running sg for what happened. Their service is absolutely great, I would gladly pay for it.

Using sg addresses for actually "critical" communications is a liability, even if the service had never any downtime in its entire life time. If you don't trust the sender of those "critical" messages with your e-mail address, why do you trust them at all with that "critical" matter?

As it is, I use sg to send/receive messages from shady/lazy/incompetent people and services. For that, it is a wonderful thing.

Long live Spamgourmet! :D

P.S.: I still would actually like an official explanation on what happened, even if it is just an "Ooops!" type of response :P
pblinks

Postby soma » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:06 pm

It's not "lashing out" to make a judgement about whether the state of a service is acceptable to you or not. You even implied yourself that there are possibly contexts for which it's not the right solution.
soma

Postby John » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:08 pm

So what happened?
John

Still not back to normal

Postby dogfish » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:35 am

I did get some e-mails today, but SG is still not back to normal at the moment, as far as I can tell.

I did not get an e-mail message I expected and the test message I sent did never arrived.
dogfish

Next

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...