New disposible address shows sent count but no emails arrive

Use this forum to get help.

Re: New disposible address shows sent count but no emails ar

Postby hutchinsfairy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Your comment about the + made me remember that I use gmail aliasing for my "protected address":

username+spamgourmet@gmail.com

This is so that I can filter emails sent from spamgourmet and, for instance, exclude them from going to the spam folder (so I know this hasn't happened for previous emails mentioned although I did still check).

I have just removed the alias part (+spamgourmet) and signed up to gamergate so will update soon. Well, probably tomorrow if I remember.
hutchinsfairy

Postby hutchinsfairy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Looks like the + in my protected address was a red herring. I'll try to do some more testing tomorrow.
hutchinsfairy

Postby tousavelo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi there,

To hutchinsfairy.
With Reply address masking, spamgourmet does smart things to combine your public adress and the recipient adress. There is no fancy processing around the protected adress. So, I don't expect the + sign in your protected Gmail address to be a problem.

To hutchinsfairy and spamgourmet.
I tested gamersgate but couldn't reproduce the problem. Protected adress at gmail. Using two spamgourmet accounts: one with reply adress masking (RAM) OFF and one with RAM ON (28xxxx and NLxxxx). One throwable adress for each account (gamersgate_RAM_OFF.28xxxx and gamersgate_ram_on.nlxxxx). 2 test emails sent from a professional account to each throwable address. Just fine (emails received, addresses having the right structure). Two automated emails sent by the gamersgate registration process to each throwable address. Just fine. (BTW, Gmail did indeed consider some of those emails as Spam.)

So, after all this, I have only (see above)
* one sample of a bad address with RAM ON built by spamgourmet
* two expected emails that can't be found in Gmail although the counter has been incremented. And a supposedly duplicate of one of those missing emails.
* a question about the version of the code available in subversion, versus the version of the code deployed in production

Good luck in your investigations
Hoping that knowledgeable investigators as yourselves will find more interesting things
Cheers
O.

BTW: Looking at the spamgourmet code, it's now hard for me to see a link with the minor Subject issue.
tousavelo

Postby erratic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 am

Hello everybody,

I am not sure I can follow all these discussions, but the subject line attracted me and from what I can understand from all these technical talk is that there seems to be problems with spamgourmet e-mail forwarding ?

This is the concern I have : I seem to be getting no mail anymore from spamgourmet addresses since a day or two-three (perhaps more)
My forwarding address is something @skynet.be (a large belgian ISP).

I tried changing the forwarding address but I do not even get spamgourmets confirmation e-mail.

Is there something going on ? Is this a generalized problem ?

Regards,

Max.
erratic

Postby erratic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 am

UPDATE

When I tried to change the forwarding address, it was to a @something.net address that I own, but that delivers the mail to the same ISP (skynet.be).

But now I changed the forwarding address to a different ISP, and I did get the confirmation e-mails.

And I do get all the spamgourmet forwarded e-mails now.

So it seems that the problem I experienced was ISP dependent.

Regards,

Max
erratic

Postby hutchinsfairy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Still 100% reproducible for me:

watchword enforcement: Off
reply address masking: On
eaten message log: On
don't log for hidden addresses: On
hide subject tagline: On
hide tagline for trusted/exclusive only: On
default number: 20
Prefix: None (not the word "None")

Spamgourmet Address: gamegate.username@spamgourmet.com

If someone wants me to do any particular tests please let me know but I don't check this thread every day.
hutchinsfairy

Postby tousavelo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:33 am

Hello,

More about gamersgate. I can't reproduce. Note that I'm not affiliated to spamgourmet, except that I use the service.

Hutchinsfairy: I had first tested gamersgate.com as this is what you mentioned in your post of Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:19 am.

I just tested with gamersgate.co.uk now. I reproduced the spamgourmet config that you described:
watchword enforcement: Off
reply address masking: On
eaten message log: On
don't log for hidden addresses: On
hide subject tagline: On
hide tagline for trusted/exclusive only: On
default number: 20
Prefix: None (not the word "None")

The emails arrived properly.

Note that with RAM ON, the emails arrived in the spam, which is not a big deal for me. My protected address is a Gmail adress. I don't have a chain of forwarding adresses.
tousavelo

Postby hutchinsfairy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm so sorry, it turns out that one of my email clients that I use to access gmail was running it's own, highly selective, spam filtering.
I have a gmail filter so that none of my emails from spamgourmet get marked as spam there, but my imap client has been summarily deleting emails from my inbox when RAM was turned on.
I can't tell if this accounts for all of the missing emails in my case but I strongly suspect it does.

:oops:
hutchinsfairy

Postby josh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:49 pm

hey coders - I suck, for the last month or two, I broke out the outbound mail handler script (which is *not* involved in this issue, because it's only handling mail coming *from* spamgourmet users) into its own script, but Just Now checked that in to subversion. Sorry for any confusion. The old script remains the same to handle any straggling use of older redirection addresses.
josh

Postby ace604ace » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:53 am

tl;dr - I've experienced a spamgourmet bug like this in the past, thought it just happened again, but *this time* it was gmail's fault (the first time last year it was a legit SG bug).

---

I have had this issue in the past of the count incrementing when reply address masking ("RAM" from now on) is enabled but the email not showing up in the destination gmail account. At that time I believe the issue was was caused by a spamgourmet bug handling a multi-line field in the original source email headers (from?) -- and I think that was fixed.

I just recently encountered apparently the same issue, but it turned out it actually was NOT the same issue ... and this time it doesn't seem to be a bug on SG so I thought I would share the problem and solution to help anyone out if they are having apparent problems with SG.

First off my setup is to forward: SGuser -> gmail-1 (spam gmail account) -> gmail-2 (real gmail account).

Furthermore, the spam gmail is setup with a user+suffix@gmail.com format, e.g.:
SGuser1 -> gmail1+suffix1@gmail.com
SGuser2 -> gmail1+suffix2@gmail.com

None of this matters this time though :)

I had gmail filters setup like this:
Matches: to:(*sguser1@xoxy.net OR *sguser2@xoxy.net)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "spamgourmet", Never send it to Spam

This *USED TO WORK* to avoid emails ending up in spam folder at gmail-1 (which would prevent them from being forwarded to gmail-2 (my real gmail).
Now it turns out wildcarding was never officially supported, and the * wildcarding no longer works (stopped working sometime, as far back possibly as a year ago - Aug 2012).

So, here's the bottom line ... with RAM turned on, a verifcation email from gamersgate (used by others above to test issues) gets sent to the gmail spam folder at gmail-1 and never gets forwarded to gmail-2. In just checking gmail-2, it looks "lost".

Just by turning RAM off, it doesn't end up in spam folder at gmail-1, and happily forwards on to gmail-2.
Turn RAM back on, re-send verification email ... back to spam folder again :)

My solution is to create a new gmail filter of the format:
Matches: (deliveredto:(gmail1+suffix1@gmail.com OR gmail1+suffix2@gmail.com))
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "spamgourmet2", Never send it to Spam

This seems to keep the emails out of spam at gmail-1 and happily forwarding on to gmail-2.

I haven't tried this, but I believe this would be applicable in a simpler setup of just 1 gmail account. Obviously it's easier to notice the problem in that case though by just searching your spam folder for the message :)

I hope this helps someone.
ace604ace

Postby ace604ace » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:58 am

Oh, 2 more things ...

1. The message gmail gave for why the version of the verification emails sent with RAM on were detected as spam was:
"Why is this message in Spam? It seems to be a fake "bounce" reply to a message that you didn't actually send. Learn more"

2. If you think reply address masking (RAM) is not your problem because you've turned it off, be sure to check again because as others have mentioned it gets auto-turned-back-on if you generate a special spamgourmet send-from address. I suppose this is a "feature" if the backend that supports receiving the emails and changing the 'from' headers from your senders is actually controlled by the same code that changes the headers when you reply... but it might be a bit better if these were decoupled and there were two separate options you could control separately, e.g:
(a) "reply address masking" - [en/dis]abled <- enabling this changes the 'from' address email in emails you receive to be the specially generated addresses *AND* auto-enables a 2nd new option (b)
(b) "send from disposable addresses" - [en/dis]abled <- enabling this allows you to send email to the specially encoded email addresses which redirect to your final destination and show as 'from' your SG account

Actually, it appears you can send to the special send-from generated emails even if you turn RAM off. In that case ... why is it auto-enabled if I just generate a one-off send-from address?
ace604ace

Previous

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...