New disposible address shows sent count but no emails arrive

Use this forum to get help.

Postby mkrebs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:42 am

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I finally got a chance to delve into this some more.

josh wrote:The 'm' at the end of the regex is for 'multiline' - I believe it's tested successfully.

If I sign up for an account on frogster-online.com, perhaps I should be able to reproduce the problem?

The 'm' is for multiple line matching in a Perl regex, not for multiple line MIME headers (aka "folding").

I've been able to reproduce this issue with frogster-online.com as greatwolf outlined. Running with the spamgourmet code in my local checkout, I saw:
Code: Select all
    <support@frogster-online.com>

change to the following with Reply Address Masking:
From: "Frogster Online Gaming GmbH - support@frogster-online.com" <+test1+username+1234567890.support#frogster-online.com@spamgourmet.com>
    <support@frogster-online.com>

This is definitely incorrect -- because it still has "<support@frogster-online.com>" in the From header field. The weird part is that I can successfully send that email to my Gmail account from my local machine. The Reply Address Masking is broken still, because replies to it go to the original email address instead of the masked one, but it's delivered nonetheless.

So I'm wondering if the mail program spamgourmet.com uses drops messages with these bad From header fields? I tried 'sendmail', 'mailx', and 'postfix' on my machine, but couldn't reproduce the problem. Maybe spamgourmet.com is using stricter settings?

In any case, I'm hoping the non-delivery issue will go away once this multi-line Reply Address Masking bug is fixed. To that end, here's my patch for "mailhandler/spameater":

Index: mailhandler/spameater
===================================================================
--- mailhandler/spameater       (revision 28)
+++ mailhandler/spameater       (working copy)
@@ -801,12 +801,12 @@
     $senderdisplay = $sender;
   }
   if ($sender) {
-    $$msgref =~ s/(^Return-Path\: ).*$/$1 $sender/mi;
-    $$msgref =~ s/(^From\: ).*$/$1 $senderdisplay/mi;
-    $$msgref =~ s/(^Sender\: ).*$/$1 $sender/mi;
-    $$msgref =~ s/(^X-Sender\:).*$/$1 $sender/mi;
-    $$msgref =~ s/(^X-Sent-From\:).*$/$1 $sender/mi;
-    $$msgref =~ s/(^Disposition-Notification-To:).*$/$1 $sender/mi;
+    $$msgref =~ s/(^Return-Path\: ).*$(?:\n .*$)*/$1 $sender/mi;
+    $$msgref =~ s/(^From\: ).*$(?:\n .*$)*/$1 $senderdisplay/mi;
+    $$msgref =~ s/(^Sender\: ).*$(?:\n .*$)*/$1 $sender/mi;
+    $$msgref =~ s/(^X-Sender\:).*$(?:\n .*$)*/$1 $sender/mi;
+    $$msgref =~ s/(^X-Sent-From\:).*$(?:\n .*$)*/$1 $sender/mi;
+    $$msgref =~ s/(^Disposition-Notification-To:).*$(?:\n .*$)*/$1 $sender/mi;
   }
   if ($replyto) {
     if ($replytodisplay) {
@@ -814,7 +814,7 @@
     } else {
       $replytodisplay = $replyto;
     }
-    $$msgref =~ s/(^Reply-To\: ).*$/$1 $replyto/mi;
+    $$msgref =~ s/(^Reply-To\: ).*$(?:\n .*$)*/$1 $replyto/mi;
   }
   $sender =~ s/.*\<//;
   $sender =~ s/\>.*//;

Can someone who has access please put this change in?
mkrebs

Postby ibasguser » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:17 am

I too can confirm this issue.

I registered for an account at http://www.payza.com using the email address: Payza.20.<MyAccount>@SpamGourmet.org

In the SpamGourmet control panel I could see the "sent" counter increasing for my Payza disposable address but no emails were getting to my protected gmail account. (I checked the spam folder as well.)

Strangely when I sent a test email to Payza.20.<MyAccount>@SpamGourmet.org from a backup email account I have with another ISP, the test message landed in my Gmail inbox almost instantly.

My first thought was that maybe Google was silently filtering the messages due to some DKIM (or similar) failure as a result of the message being forwarded but then I came here & found this thread & after disabling the "reply address masking" advanced setting in the SpamGourmet control panel messages started arriving from Payza.

When I look at the headers for the messages from Payza that are now getting through I see the following:

<noreply@payza.com>

This leads me to believe mkrebs is right in his diagnosis.

If there's any chance this could be addressed it would be much appreciated! I like the reply address masking feature & would like to turn it back on but for the time being it seems too risky as I won't know if I'm missing emails. (And if we're here reporting it, presumably there are other sg users loosing emails that don't even realize it's happening.)

With all that said I'd like to end with this: I'm a huge fan of spamgourmet & have been using it faithfully for years without ever having any significant troubles! I really appreciate all that you do to keep the service running! Thanks!
ibasguser

Postby sguser450 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:59 pm

I too have had this problem, with some sites, for most of the summer.

I used a spamgourmet address (with the xoxy.net domain) registering for some summer bowling coupons with AMF (amf.com).

Never received a password from AMF upon registering. Clicking the "forgot password" link when logging into the AMF web site adjusts the counters for the disposable address, showing that a message went out, but I never receive it, and I've checked my gmail spam and trash folders (that's where my spamgourmet messages forward to).

I actually made the mistake of using an xoxy.net address last week when registering with an IT forum (vmware.com), and my confirming email never reached me (although the counter indicated something went out). I finally re-registered at vmware.com using my work email address, and boom, in seconds, had my confirmation.

Some - not all - messages from amf.com reach me, but the password resets never do. There have been other sites where I'm registered with an xoxy.net address, where communications have stopped reaching me.

I'm adding nothing new to this discussion, but just wanted to speak up and say yes, it's happening to me too, and has been happening going back to June or July of this year.
sguser450

Re: New disposible address shows sent count but no emails ar

Postby vikasa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:01 am

One more "me too"

Josh - Can this please be fixed? Reply address masking is a very useful setting so turning it off is not a acceptable workaround. But enabling it and silently losing messages is also not good! Please help. Thanks
vikasa

Postby josh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Vikasa,
I think I got your email.

This one is killing me - it must be a spamgourmet bug, but I'm unable to reproduce it. Someone even sent me a message they received with reply address masking turned off (that they were sure would have not made it through if the feature were on), and I've been unable to reproduce even with that.

If some brave soul could temporarily go to a troublesome service and use a non-spamgourmet address for a moment (temporary webmail?), then somehow send me the raw source of the received message, maybe that would help.

Josh
josh

Postby josh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:00 pm

update - mkrebs - working in the enterprise software field as I do at my dayjob, I occasionally forget that the same production controls need not apply here, and so I just mentally reviewed your patch and applied it - I did a little testing, and things seems good (meaning the system still works as I understood it to work beforehand - but as I said, I've been unable to reproduce the actual problem we've been talking about, and so been unable to test for it), but the real test will be when you all see whether things are better or not.

mkrebs - good observation and thanks for the patch! (and thanks in advance assuming everything works now). Unless we see problems, I'll check in the new code soon.
josh

Postby beans » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 am

Apparently this issue or some permutation of it remains. I never got my confirmation from this site (http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/), but the counter for the spamgourmet address incremented.

Thanks.
beans

Postby hutchinsfairy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Still not getting emails for some sites:
e.g. www.sipgate.co.uk registration email.

I will test with Reply Address Masking turned off and report back...
hutchinsfairy

Postby hutchinsfairy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:19 am

Update: Registration email got through fine with Reply Address Masking turned off.
hutchinsfairy

Postby Firefairy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm

I appear to be having a similar problem to this, but an even worse variant- messages don't get through even with Return Address Masking off! I am trying to make an account on the Curse network, specifically for minecraftforum.net. The confirmation email got through fine to an exposed gmail address, but not through a xoxy.net address. Help! For the moment, I have just used a throwaway webmail account, but I had things all organized through Spamgourmet, and it's messing up my system. ;-)
Firefairy

Postby hutchinsfairy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am

I just failed to receive another email through Spamgourmet and checked my account to find that reply address masking had been turned back on.
It's always possible that I have done this without realising, but I really doubt it.
hutchinsfairy

Postby josh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:49 pm

if you send to a redirection address, the code quietly turns back on the reply address masking feature
josh

Postby SysKoll » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:04 am

If you remove redirection and address masking, does the problem still occur?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby hutchinsfairy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:19 am

Sorry, don't seem to be getting update emails to this forum either so haven't responded!
Turning off Reply address masking stops the problem. Only yesterday I missed emails from GamersGate.com because it had become re-enabled (presumably because I had used a redirection address).
hutchinsfairy

Postby SysKoll » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:46 pm

So we have a definite scenario to reproduce the problem then.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

PreviousNext

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...