New disposible address shows sent count but no emails arrive

Use this forum to get help.

New disposible address shows sent count but no emails arrive

Postby soma » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:17 pm

I created a new disposable address when signing up at a website. They send confirmation emails and I waited for mine but it never arrived. Normally, when this has happened in the past, the disposable address is never created and that points to a problem on their end. But this time, the address was created and I see 2 sent (the first confirmation email, I assume, and the second request I made for a new one when the first didn't arrive). So the emails made it through the spamgourmet system but never arrived in my inbox.

Just to get the obvious out of the way:
All of my other disposable addresses are working fine.
No messages are getting spam filtered in any other way.
A test email I sent to the disposable address in question from another account (not my protected address) arrived just fine and the message count said 3 of 20.

How can I find out what happened to the other 2 emails? What information should I provide to track down the problem and to whom should I give it? (I was going to follow the template in the sticky but that seemed to be for a different type of scenario).
soma

Postby aloha » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:09 pm

similar problem here. I tried several times to reset my password at Nikon. The mails from Nikon to a neverbox address are counted as forwarded by Spamgourmet but do not arrive in my mailbox. I switched off all Spam filters in my mailbox and even changed the mailbox provider (from gmx to googlemail) but it didn't help. When I send test mails to the same spamgourmet address they are forwarded instantly.

It seems that there is something in these Nikon mails that confuses Spamgourmet!
aloha

Postby larryu » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 pm

I have not been receiving any forwarded emails for the last two days. When sending test emails to myself, I can see that the counter is incremented but the emails are never forwarded.

Today, I ran some additional tests using several different spamgourmet domains. In one case, the newly created address showed a received count of "20" even though I had just created the address. As a result, the actual email sent was deleted. But even when I reset the counter and also set up the address as an exclusive sender, nothing is forwarded.

Is anyone else currently experiencing this problem?
larryu

Postby Sy2k » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:45 am

soma wrote:I created a new disposable address when signing up at a website.
How can I find out what happened to the other 2 emails? What information should I provide to track down the problem and to whom should I give it? (I was going to follow the template in the sticky but that seemed to be for a different type of scenario).

From my understanding, the mail is irretrievably lost as SpamGourmet does not keep any disposed-of mail.
Did you send a PM to the admins per post #1195 ?How to ask for help if your SG email stops coming?? If so, what was the outcome?
aloha wrote:similar problem here. I tried several times to reset my password at Nikon. The mails from Nikon to a neverbox address are counted as forwarded by Spamgourmet but do not arrive in my mailbox. I switched off all Spam filters in my mailbox and even changed the mailbox provider (from gmx to googlemail) but it didn't help. When I send test mails to the same spamgourmet address they are forwarded instantly.

It seems that there is something in these Nikon mails that confuses Spamgourmet!

I have exactly the same behaviour on website http://glumobile.custhelp.com.
larryu wrote:I have not been receiving any forwarded emails for the last two days. When sending test emails to myself, I can see that the counter is incremented but the emails are never forwarded.
Is anyone else currently experiencing this problem?

I have exactly the same behaviour as the three of you describe here.
I've just sent a support PM to user ?info? using the template in post #1195.
The PM is just sitting in my "OutBox" however... ?

Any of you (or anyone else) having similar problems or a resolution to this?
Sy2k

Postby Sy2k » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm

bump...

Still happening... also observed with emails from Groupon.

Has anyone had any contact with any of the admins in the last month?

Suggestions/solutions welcomed...
Sy2k

Postby Sy2k » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:39 am

bump...

still occurring ... anyone with any ideas?
Sy2k

Postby josh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 pm

there are two reasons why you might not get a message that has nevertheless bumped the counter:

1) your mail server rejected it when Spamgourmet tried to send it (and this is more likely the case where *all* mail stops coming); or

2), I suppose I can't dismiss the possibility that certain characters in an email message could mess up our code - our vast QA team (either zero people, or a quarter million people, depending on how you look at it :) ) hasn't been able to test every permutation, of course.

But what's weird is that the counters get updated *after* the processing and sending code has run, so if there was an error, it wouldn't have resulted in an abend type condition.
josh

Postby Sy2k » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Thanks for the reply Josh.

It is definitely not all email from the (protected) account. I still actively get email from other SG addresses that forward to the same (protected) account.

Any suggestions? Or things I can try to work with you on in trying to troubleshoot this? I can trigger an offending mail at will at this point -i.e. it's perfectly reproducible.

Glad to help you solve this if there's some way to do so.

Cheers,
Sy

P.S. I also sent you private messages using the template listed elsewhere on the board, but the messages still show as being in my "Outbox" - have you received those?
Sy2k

Postby mkrebs » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:58 pm

I ran into this same problem with an account on Microsoft's HealthVault, forwarding to gmail.com. It's an activation email, and I can likewise reproduce it easily.

After looking at the spameater code and trying a couple things, I believe there's a bug with Reply Address Masking. It turns out the email that was being sent has a From header:
Code: Select all
     <hsmailer@microsoft.com>
That is, it continues the actual "from" address on the next line (there's a space char before '<hsmailer...').

In spameater there's the code:
Code: Select all
    $$msgref =~ s/(^From\: ).*$/$1 $sender/mi;

To me this looks like it would replace just the 'From: "Microsoft HealthVault"' line with the masked address, leaving the ' <hsmailer@microsoft.com>' line. I'm guessing the resulting funky address is causing Gmail to throw the message away. If I disable the Reply Address Masking, the email is forwarded properly.

I believe this spreading of an email header across multiple lines is legal, even if it's kind of stupid for Microsoft to do it in this case. Without actually trying this (i.e. it may be incorrect), maybe that search expr can be changed to '/(^From: ).*$(?:^ .*$)*/'?

To note, the Microsoft email also had the "To" header span multiple lines, so I'm guessing pretty much all the header regexs should be fixed.

If you want more info, just let me know.
mkrebs

Postby greatwolf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:56 am

Are there any updates on this thread? I'm running into almost the same exact problem: counts are incremented and decremented but no email actually show up for my protected inbox.

I have tested this by switching between multiple protected emails with the same result: they just don't show up!

I've actually started my own thread here detailing the problem: http://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1443

Still no reply yet. And here's the PM I got back from Syskoll:

SysKoll wrote:

Your account is actually greatwolf. The greatwolf account is normal. The email sent to your protected address leaves our system normally.

GMX is notorious for its oversensitive spam filter (their "Text Pattern Profiler"). Especially if an email comes from "support", which is a very common spam technique.

So please check your GMX settings (Settings > Security > Spam Protection) and see if the spam protection is activated. You might want to deactivate it and whitelist gourmet.spamgourmet.com if possible.

Thanks for responding.

I just switch my protected email from gmx.com to dudmail.com. Still no dice. The remaining and sent numbers updated correctly but again, nothing was actually received. If the email from support@frogster-online.com did indeed get relayed I should be seeing that under dudmail's inbox.

This is getting really irritating because I'm trying to perform a password recovery/reset of a long forgotten account but they insist that I send a reply email back to them to confirm my ownership of the account.

I obviously cannot do this if I never receive their email!

Will the admins PLEASE look into this problem! I've already checked to make sure my protected emails have spam filters completely disabled on all the ones I've tried. So the only thing left that could be interfering is spamgourmet itself.
greatwolf

Postby mkrebs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 am

Yeah, it would be nice if this bug was fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful for spamgourmet and all the spam it has stopped. But I have to double-check some accounts because the emails don't always come through... presumably because of this bug.

If you want to be sure, try disabling Reply Address Masking and see if the email comes through then. If that works, check the original message (if your email provider has that option), and I would guess that it has the multi-line From in its header.
mkrebs

Postby greatwolf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:38 pm

mkrebs wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful for spamgourmet and all the spam it has stopped.

As am I. If there's anything I or any of the members on this board can do to help you guys track down this bug please let us know. I'm sure many of us will be more than happy to help assist in squashing this bug.
greatwolf

Postby josh » Wed May 23, 2012 7:33 pm

The 'm' at the end of the regex is for 'multiline' - I believe it's tested successfully.

If I sign up for an account on frogster-online.com, perhaps I should be able to reproduce the problem?
josh

Postby greatwolf » Fri May 25, 2012 1:36 am

josh wrote:If I sign up for an account on frogster-online.com, perhaps I should be able to reproduce the problem?

Thanks for responding. Yes you should be able to reproduce the issue. Here's basically what I did to reproduce the problem:

Create an account on their site. Here's the account creation link for reference: http://support.frogster-online.com/app/ ... te_account

Enter a spamgourmet email address. For my test case I just used spamtest.greatwolf@spamgourmet.com
    Fill in the other fields as usual.
    Create a new support question ticket by clicking on 'Ask a Question' on the right.
    Fill in the fields as usual.
    Click 'Continue' at the bottom.

At this point an email should be sent regarding the new submitted question to the spamgourmet email that was used for registration.

You'll find that spamgourmet increments and decrements sent and remaining as expected. However that email never shows up to your real email.

As another test, change the email registered from spamgourmet to say dudmail. Submit another 'Ask a Question'. You'll find an email shows up in dudmail as expected. This shows that an email was sent out properly from frogster's end.

If there's any other details you need me to provide to help track down this issue, please let me know.

Much appreciated.
greatwolf

Postby jvarsoke » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 am

I can confirm that this is still happening.

In trying to verify my address with RunningHead.com (which incidentally uses .Net) the spam counter increases but no email comes through.

Email is being forwarded to gmail.com

When I turn I turn off "reply address masking" the email comes through fine.
jvarsoke

Next

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...