The Paranoid in me just had a thought...

Use this forum to get help.

The Paranoid in me just had a thought...

Postby Fracture » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:21 pm

I just realized that I'm funneling just about all of my email through Spam Gourmet. That includes some sensitive stuff. Bills, bank statements, flight information, etc.

On top of that, I use various domains (e.g. xoxy, etc).

What's protecting my email?

I realize, of course, that even without SG, my email is transmitted insecurely.

What I'm getting at is that SG has become a single point of failure. Rather than the mail going direct to, say, Google, I've funneled through a server that I have no information about.

Aside from longevity, and past experience, I really don't know anything about this service, or how security savvy you folks are.

I'm sure you don't retain email, but a simple hack of the SG script could reap some pretty impressive results for the hacker. E.G. send me any email that contains the word "password", "visa", or "approval"...

Thoughts?
Fracture

Postby lwc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm not worried about stealing. This service relies on most users deleting stuff other than forwarding them. If a cracker changed this (to keep stuff for him/herself), it would crash the service anyway.

But regarding losing something, I've lost some sensitive stuff in past crashes. But usually the problem in crashes in unreasonable delays. Truth be told, in these days of webmail, Exchange and IMAP, it looks unprofessional to get a delay at all. Thankfully, usually there's hardly any delay in this service.

All in all, it comes down to Spamgourmet having no replacement. It's free, it has preferences and even a forum (albeit the latter isn't that much of a factor now that the admins rarely participate or PM).
lwc

Postby josh » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Not sure what to say - if it makes you feel better, I funnel most of my email through the service also :)

We've got 12 years running now, and I don't plan on going anywhere. No system is crack-proof, but ours is pretty good.

That said - if anyone comes up with something better, let's use it!
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...