Trouble with From: after using new Mail From Here feature

Use this forum to get help.

Trouble with From: after using new Mail From Here feature

Postby bheckel » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:37 pm

After sending my first email using the "send a message from one of your disposable addresses" link, *all* spamg email to me has somehow changed the From: and Reply-To: to very verbose addresses.

Here's a dummied sample:

heckel@dummy.net"<+tmp+heckel+a2b60d36a4.heckel#dummy.net@spamgourmet.com>
Reply-To: "Bob Heckel -
heckel@dummy.net"<+tmp+heckel+a2b60d36a4.heckel#dummy.net@spamgourmet.com>
To: tmp.20.heckel@spamgourmet.com
Subject: test (tmp: message 1 of 20)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:16:24 +0000

Any ideas? Thanks.
bheckel

Postby SysKoll » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:19 pm

The +tmp+heckel+etc. part is normal, it's of course the address generated by SG. Now, I assume that your problem is the "Bob Heckel" part.

SG has absolutely no way to know this. The logical conclusion is that your email client has generated this behind your back. What email client are you using?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:52 pm

Bob,
What's probably going on is that you didn't previously have "reply address masking" enabled for your account -- using the "send the first message" feature automatically enables the feature if you don't already have it enabled.

The reason for the fancy addresses is to redirect your messages through spamgourmet so that your disposable email address can take the place of your real sender address. That is, without "reply address masking" (before you used the feature), a dialog would have looked like this:

1. sender sends message: sender ---> spamgourmet.com ---> you
2. you reply: you ---> sender (who can see your real email address by looking at the "from" field, unless you changed it yourself)

with "reply address masking", it goes like this:

1. sender sends message: sender ---> spamgourmet.com ---> you
2. you reply: you ---> spamgourmet.com ---> sender (who can't see your real email address, because it has been replaced with a disposable address in the From: field)

using the "send the first message" feature basically lets you send through spamgourmet without having to reply. If you didn't have the "reply address masking feature enabled, it would go like this:

1. you send first message: you ---> spamgourmet.com ---> sender
2. sender replies: sender ---> spamgourmet.com ---> you
3. you reply: you ---> sender (who can see your real email address)

hope this makes sense...
josh

I understand the process now

Postby bheckel » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:08 am

I wasn't worried about my real name showing up (I should have been clearer on that point), it was the extra long addresses that I wasn't used to seeing. But Josh's post cleared things up for me. Thanks everyone, and thanks to the SG team for providing this service.
bheckel

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...