Exclusive sender possibly not working quite right

Use this forum to get help.

Exclusive sender possibly not working quite right

Postby mbourne1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:32 pm

I have a spamgourmet address, with exclusive sender set to openoffice.org (I use this for the openoffice mailing lists). Most messages sent through the mailing list get through as exclusive sender, but I have just received one which didn't, and hence decremented the remaining message count (would have been deleted without my knowledge if the count had reached zero).

The To header is:
To: users<AT>openoffice.org, an.other<AT>example.com
(I've replaced @ with <AT> and changed the other address, to prevent them from being picked up from here by spammers!, but hope that's clear for describing the problem)

The X-Spamgourmet header is:
X-Spamgourmet: (openoffice: message 11 of 20)

Indicating that this has not been detected as an exclusive sender. The To: header contains an address matching the exclusive sender (openoffice.org), so why would this not have been detected as an exclusive sender? Is it possible that presence of the second address in the To: header causes a problem?
mbourne1

Postby mbourne1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:01 pm

This has happened again with another email. Similar situation where the email is addressed to two addresses. Emails addressed to the mailing list (users<AT>openoffice.org) only are matched and get through as exclusive, but a second address in the To: header seems to prevent the exclusive sender from working.
mbourne1

Postby brotherkennyh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 pm

mbourne,
exclusive sender only looks at the from address.

From the looks of things someone sends a mail to users<at>openoffice.org and then that mailbox forwards to you and all the other people on that mailing list. The 'to:' address will still read the same even though it was forwarded to you.

If you want exclusive sender to work then have a look at who the emails are coming from and set that as the exclusive sender.

The second addesss in the 'to:' header also makes no difference because exclusive sender looks at the from address.
You may find that the mail that does not advance the message count is from something<at>openoffice.org and the mail that does advance the message count if from something<at>anything.org

HTH

Kenny
brotherkennyh

Postby mbourne1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:27 pm

But in the FAQ it explicitly says:

http://www.spamgourmet.com/index.pl?printpage=faq.html wrote:Q. So I can sign up for a service with a disposable address, then, if I decide I'd like to keep receiving email from the service, I can come here and add their address as a trusted sender and keep getting email from them?
A. Yes. Just look at the "from" address on one of the emails you received and add it as a trusted sender. (or, if you're subscribed to a mailing list that is always sent "to:" the same address, you can put that address as the "exclusive sender" for your disposable address -- that'll work even if the messages are "from:" a bunch of different people).

Which is the case here. The messages come from different people, so there is no single "from:" address to set as exclusive sender.
mbourne1

Postby mbourne1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Also, if the only address in the "to:" line is users<at>openoffice.org, it is recognised as exclusive (and the remaining message count is not decremented), regardless of the "from:" address.

It appears to be only if there is another address in the "to:" line, in addition to the list address, that it doesn't get recognised as exclusive (and therefore decrements the remaining message count, and would eventually stop forwarding such messages).
mbourne1

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...