Rename SG account with another termination address ?

Use this forum to get help.

Rename SG account with another termination address ?

Postby ronbarak » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 am

Is there a way to rename an SG account to the same account but with another termination address ?
For instance, rename an existing word.me@spamgourmet.com to word.me@9ox.com ?
ronbarak

Re: Rename SG account with another termination address ?

Postby gourmet » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:47 am

Why on earth would you like to do that? It really doesn't make any difference what ever domain you use.
Last edited by gourmet on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gourmet

Postby lwc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:15 am

Please don't quote the entire message, especially if it's right above yours.
lwc

Postby gourmet » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Fixed, your post was supprisingly informative +5!
gourmet

Re: Rename SG account with another termination address ?

Postby ronbarak » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:12 pm

gourmet wrote:Why on earth would you like to do that? It really doesn't make any difference what ever domain you use.
To save typing: 9ox is rather shorter than spamgourmet :idea:
When 9ox became available, I switched to using that, but the old addresses are still there, and I found no way to reuse an address with a shorter termination address.
ronbarak

Postby mbourne1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm

I've just done a quick test, and it appears that all addresses with the same beginning word and username are treated as the same regardless of which domain is used. An email sent to word.me-at-9ox.com picks up the same exclusive sender settings, decrements the same remaining message count, etc. as an email sent to word.me-at-spamgourmet.com.

If you go into "advanced" mode and list the addresses, the first domain the word was used with is shown in the "full address" column, but the same address at any other spamgourmet domain also seems to pick up the settings from that row.

So... just tell whoever you gave the word.me-at-spamgourmet.com address to that they can now use word.me-at-9ox.com. If you used the address to subscribe to a mailing list, web forum, or whatever, just change your registered address at that site (but in that case, you're unlikely to be saving anyone any typing).
mbourne1

Postby ronbarak » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:42 pm

mbourne1 wrote:I've just done a quick test, and it appears
So... just tell whoever you gave the word.me-at-spamgourmet.com address to that they can now use word.me-at-9ox.com. If you used the address to subscribe to a mailing list, web forum, or whatever, just change your registered address at that site (but in that case, you're unlikely to be saving anyone any typing).

When you want to create a SG address to put on the "To:" field of an email, and you already have a SG address with say spamgourmet.com ending, SG will not let you create a SG address with say 9ox.net ending.

So, it's not a question of telling someone to use this or that SG address: it's an inability to send email with the shorter SG address as the address of the sender.
ronbarak

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...