Spam delivered thru SG not from exclusive sender

Use this forum to get help.

Postby clio » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:58 pm

josh wrote:Now the "undocumented" part: At first, the exclusive and trusted sender matching didn't work for mailing lists that used the common approach of having multiple senders submitting messages to the same, say, majordomo list address. To work around this issue, we modified the code to match both the From and To addresses against the exclusive sender text. But when the exclusive sender text matched the disposable address itself, this had the unintended side effect of matching *every* message that was To: the address (not CC or BCC, btw), essentially pegging the address open. We decided to leave it at that, knowing that, without proper documentation (or maybe even with it), there was no way that a statistically significant percentage of the addresses would wind up in this state, but those users who *really* wanted to peg open addresses still could.

Thanks for describing this in detail, Josh. I have now updated several of my exclusive senders to better match how I want them to work (a few of them previously matched the disposable address).

And thanks for continuing to provide a great service! :)
clio

Postby codex24 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:56 am

josh wrote:Can't you just use the @ sign? That should work: instead of putting ableammo.com, put @ableammo.com - that won't match the To: field.

I could, and I have in this case, but it is not a good general practice, as you describe in the FAQ item titled, "Q. Are there any differences between trusted and exclusive senders". Some exclusive senders farm out mass e-mailing to contractors who send from a sub-domain, so their mail might come from "noreply@mailer.domain.com". In this case, an exclusive sender of "domain.com" will allow it, and "@domain.com" would not. Even setting the exclusive sender after initial return contact is not foolproof, as the send may change this arrangement.

josh wrote:This doesn't come up much, because most folks don't have the "com" part that's in your disposable address.

So in the case of the previous example, you're saying I should use a disposable address of "domain.codex24@spamgourmet.com", not "domain.com.codex24@spamgourmet.com" if I want to avoid the above problem?
codex24

Previous

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...