'reply address masking' keeps getting set back to 'enabled'

Use this forum to get help.

'reply address masking' keeps getting set back to 'enabled'

Postby Hyomil » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:25 am

I keep 'reply address masking' set to 'disabled' because otherwise I keep having to approve a new GMail filter to 'Show Images' when an e-mail contains images. But for some reason it keeps setting itself back to 'enabled' every so often. This has happened several times now. I thought maybe my password manager LastPass might be changing it, but I've checked that there aren't any form components that it changes other than 'user' and 'pass.'
Hyomil

Postby josh » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:30 pm

If you create a new "redirection address" to send a message to someone, that will turn on reply address masking.

Also, maybe if you reply to a message that was redirected, that will turn it on (I think that's right).

These are both "safety" features to keep someone from accidentally exposing a real address. The system's not detailed enough to have the setting off for some addresses and on for others.

If it's not one of those two things, then I'm not sure what's going on.
josh

Postby Hyomil » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:19 pm

I have been creating new 'redirection addresses' while 'reply address masking' was off, so that makes sense.

It seems to work now, as I tested setting 'reply address masking' back to 'disabled' right after creating the redirection address and before sending an email to it. The message arrived correctly masked (that is, with the spamgourmet domain) and 'reply address masking' remained set to 'disabled.' I realize, to carry on a conversation, the original 'redirection address' will have to be manually entered for every reply or else my real address will be exposed, so I'll dig that up from my 'Sent messages' folder when needed or add it as a Contact address.
Hyomil

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...